Rebellion of the Indonesian Communist Party in September 1948.

Rebellion of the Indonesian Communist Party (PKI) in Madiun, East Java September 1948

The Madiun events were a communist uprising in the town of Madiun in 1948, during the Indonesian War of Independence. Leftist parties led an uprising against the leaders of the newly declared Indonesian Republic, which was put down by counter-revolutionary forces.

On 18 September 1948, an 'Indonesian Soviet Republic' was declared by members of the Indonesian Communist Party (PKI) and the Indonesian Socialist Party (PSI) in Madiun, in the western part of East Java. They considered the time ripe for a proletarian uprising and intended to become a centre of revolt against 'Sukarno and Hatta, the slaves of Japan and America'. However, Madiun was reclaimed by counter-revolutionary forces within a few weeks and the leader of the uprising, Manowar Musso, was killed. The governor of East Java, as well as several police officers and religious leaders, were killed by the rebels.

Indonesia experienced several major upheavals after proclaiming independence on 17 August 1945. One of these upheavals was the rebellion of the Indonesian Communist Party (PKI) in Madiun, East Java in September 1948.

The PKI rebellion in Madiun is synonymous with Musso.

Since the beginning of September 1948, Musso together with several PKI leaders travelled to areas in Java, such as Surakarta / Solo, Madiun, Kediri, Jombang, Bojonegoro, Cepu, Purwodadi, and Wonosobo.

He was a worker and communist leader of the Indonesian labour and communist movement. Born in a peasant family. Graduated from secondary school. In 1919 joined Sarekat Islam. In connection with the peasant uprising in West Java (1920) was arrested and sentenced to 3 years of hard labour. In 1923 he joined the Communist Party. In 1923-25 he was a member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party. In 1923-25 he was a member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party, headed the trade union of postal workers. From 1925 to 1935 he was in exile. In 1933-35 he lived in Holland, Belgium and France. M. was a member of the executive committees of the Comintern and Profintern. In 1935 M. returned illegally to Indonesia and led the re-establishment of the central leadership of the party in the underground and the development of its political line (a united front with the national bourgeoisie in the struggle against fascism, imperialism and colonialism). In 1936 he was forced to leave the country. In 1938-39 he lived in Belgium, in 1939-41 was in a concentration camp in France. In 1948 he returned to Indonesia. The August conference of the Communist Party (1948) adopted the resolution "A New Path for the Republic of Indonesia", developed by M., which contained a programme of action of the Communist Party to create a united national front in the struggle against imperialism and feudalism. In September. 1948 M. was elected general secretary of the Communist Party Central Committee.

During the Madiun uprising M. was killed.

Musso was one of the leaders of the PKI in the early 1920s.

On 3 August 1948, Musso returned to Indonesia. A week later, on 10 August 1948, Musso headed to Solo and stayed at the residence of the Military Governor of the Surakarta Region, Wikana.

Musso's arrival in Indonesia was to carry Moscow's mandate. On Soviet instruction, he founded the young PKI.

only the PKI people were capable of completing the revolution in Indonesia.

The suppression of the rebellion led to diplomatic support for the Republic of Indonesia from the USA. Internationally, Indonesia was now seen as staunchly anti-communist and a potential ally.

Long live the Madiun Rebellion !