Long live the 105th Founding Day Communistische Partij Holland

(CPN; Communistische Partij van Nederland), founded Nov

(CPN; Communistische Partij van Nederland), founded Nov. 17, 1918, it grew out of the Social Democratic Party of the Netherlands. In April 1919 the CPN joined the Comintern. The CPN participated actively in the struggle for the vital interests of the Dutch working people and came out in defense of Soviet Russia. In subsequent years the party experienced serious difficulties. "Leftist" and right-opportunist views became widespread in the Central Committee and among party members; individual leaders conducted a policy that threatened to split the party. The membership and influence of the party declined sharply. The 1930 congress, for which preparations were made with the help of the Comintern, exposed the opportunists and elected a new party leadership. In the 1930's the CPN broadened its ties with the masses. Its membership rose from 1,100 in 1930 to 11,000 in 1940.

During the fascist German occupation of the Netherlands (from May 1940 to May 1945) the CPN, which operated underground, was active in the Resistance Movement and the organizing in February 1941 of a general strike of the Dutch working people. More than half the membership and almost the entire Politburo of the CC of the party died in the struggle against the fascist invaders.