prologue

Liz Forbes was destined to be a mother. In the years following her marriage, she didn't have any luck naturally. Yearning for a child, she started the adoption process. Months went by and she was starting to lose all hope. It wasn't until a fateful fall night when she got the call there was a child in desperate need of a loving home. A beautiful baby girl. Slightly over a year old.  Abandoned. No trace of who she was or where she came from. Her history unknown. 

Liz was overjoyed to finally be a mother and the idea of raising a child. She took the child into her home and loved and raised her as if she were her own. She named her Briana. Despite not knowing her history, Liz vowed to keep her safe and was determined to give her a great life. 

Two years after she took Briana in as her own, Liz's dream of having a child came true. She was pregnant. Another beautiful baby girl joined their family in October of 1992. Caroline Forbes. The two girls grew up inseparable. Though not bound by blood, they were sister willing to sacrifice anything for one another. 

Briana was always a very curious child. Her curiosity stems from when she was a child. She was only 9 years old when she started to ask questions of why she didn't match her mother's and sister's golden locks and light eyes. Being different never bothered Briana, she just wanted to know why. When she turned 18 she began looking for her birth parents. Because she was abandoned with no paper trail, she didn't have much luck. It was not like Briana was unhappy with her life. In fact it was the opposite, she was incredibly grateful for Liz taking her in and giving her the life she had. She would always be her mom, but that didn't mean she wasn't curious. Maybe one day she would discover where she came from. 

Her search for her family was halted when her sister Caroline was turned into a vampire. Suddenly, the two sisters were thrust into the world of supernatural beings. This only increased her curiosity, but she merely changed her focus. Vampires aren't real and there was no way her baby sister could be one. Or so she thought. Not only are vampires real, but so are witches and werewolves. In the midst of all the supernatural craziness that occurs in Mystic Falls. Briana stayed human. She was pure and she intended to stay that way. She watched as her friends were cursed with bloodlust. How her sister would never turn 18. She didn't want that life for herself, at least not now. Just as she was started to come to terms with her new normal, there was a new threat: the oldest vampire of all time was after Elena Gilbert and her friends.