X: The Reckoning

Klaus drove all throughout the day to make it back to Mystic Falls by night fall. Briana still wasn't exactly sure why he was adamant about going back to the small town, but based on his foul mood, and the fact that Rebekah continuously snapped Stefan's neck to keep him unconscious the entire trip, she could only assume Klaus was on to Stefan's lies. 

Briana continued to pester Klaus with questions about their change in plans but every time she got the same answer: "I have business to take care of." 

Briana stayed quiet for most of the ride, her mind playing worst case scenario. Her thoughts ranged from her own personal relationships crumbling upon her return, to the havoc that will be wrecked once Klaus finds out Elena is alive. 

Klaus could tell Briana was stressed even though she didn't say a word. Throughout the trip, when he could practically see her head spinning, he would reach over from the driver's seat and place a comforting hand on her thigh. 

As they pulled into the parking lot of the high school, Klaus shifted the truck in park before letting out a breath. He looked up from the steering wheel giving Briana an apologetic look. He didn't need to say it, she knew what he was going to do. 

"Klaus. Please. Don't." Briana begged, her voice shaking. He just stared back at her. Their eyes speaking a thousand words. 

Her eyes begged him to stop. To show Elena mercy. His, were burning a hole into her heart, whispering a million apologies for what he is about to do. What he has to do.

He got out of the truck and sped into the school, Briana shouting his name. But by the time she could get out of the truck, he was nowhere to be seen. 

Briana ran into the school. Going up and down each hallway she searched for any sign of the original hybrid or the doppelgänger. Briana, very out of breath, made her way to the gym.

As she ran through the door, she could hear Klaus' voice compelling who she could only assume was some poor innocent kid. She sped up. 

"No Klaus! You don't have to hurt anyone." Briana heard Elena plead with the hybrid. 

Shit. Briana thought. I'm too late. 

"Oh come on. Of course I do." Klaus spoke condescendingly as he looked down at the doppelgänger. 

Briana slammed the gym door behind her, making her presence known. 

"No." She spoke, her arms crossed over her chest with furrowed brows. "You don't. And you won't." 

Klaus turned towards the fiery brunette. He had never seen her this angry, or this determined. 

"Bri." Elena breathed out. Her voice shaking with both fear and relief, but Briana's eyes didn't leave Klaus. 

She held his gaze. Neither one of them willing to back down or admit defeat. 

"Where's Stefan?" Elena said shakily. 

"Stefan's on a bit of a time out." Klaus said condescendingly, the doppelgänger next to him. His eyes still locked on Briana's beneath her furrowed brow. 

Briana stood tall, arms crossed. She didn't say word as her body language said all she needed. She cocked her head slightly to the side. 

The door the gym opened breaking Briana and Klaus' stare down to reveal Bonnie and Matt entering. 

"Bonnie get out of here!" 

"Bon-" Elena and Briana both spoke at the same time but before they could barely finish, Klaus had vamp sped infront of the Bennett witch.