XXXVIX: Stand By Me

The mid day sun crept through the soft linen curtains as they blew in the breeze from the slightly open window. Briana could feel the warmth on her skin as she walked further into the house. It was quiet, as the background noise from the television filled the air. A sense of comfort surrounded the room. It was peaceful. 

Briana scanned the walls that were adorned with family photos. She didn't recognize the people, but she could tell they were happy. Their eyes full of love and content smiles. They looked like your average American family. Two smiling parents, their arms wrapped around both children in their arms. One child, around a year old, and a newborn baby wrapped in a pink blanket.

Briana walked down what felt like a never ending hallway. Her smile growing with each passing picture. A sense of familiarity formed around her. But as quick as it came, it was gone. 

Suddenly everything went dark. Like the lights in the unclaimed home had gone out and a gust of wind  furiously blowing the previously relaxed curtains. Briana turned to walk back down the hallway towards where she entered the house. 

As she turned, she could feel a cold presence behind her. She turned back forcefully with fear in her eyes, but there was no one there. She looked back to the door, that had now also disappeared. 

Everything in her body was telling her to run. To leave this place and never  look back. But she was trapped. The only way out of the house was to make it through to the other side, which she couldn't explain why, but felt like it would be impossible. 

There was a feeling deep in her stomach telling her something was wrong.  She took a step towards the entrance of the living room. As she got closer, she could hear voices. Her heart was pounding in her chest and fear was written all over her face. 

When she was just a few feet from the threshold, the voice turned to screams. 

"Help!" voices echoed, "No!" "Please!" the voices begged. The screams were ear piercing. 

Briana hesitated. She was frozen with fear on what lied over that threshold. She didn't want to keep going, but something was pushing her forward. 

"Tell me where they are!" A voice demanded. 

Briana peaked her head around the corner. When she looked into the kitchen, the images flashed, like the entire picture wasn't present. She could make out a woman's figure as the light flashed. She was down on her knees, begging for  what Briana could only assume was mercy, or her life. 

As the static images started to flash, Briana heard a baby start to cry. She quickly ran in the direction of the cries. An instinct deep within her to protect the child despite not knowing who or where she is. 

As Briana ran in that direction, she was stopped when her body hit the floor. As she pushed herself up from her fall, she looked back to see what had tripped her. She saw a the body of a man, his throat slight, eyes still opened. 

Briana opened her mouth to scream but nothing came out. The only sounds filling the air were the babies cries and the woman's pleas. Briana slid away from the body but she couldn't pull her eyes away. Her eyes filled with tears with each breath she took. 

She slowly made her way to her feet hurrying to find the crying baby, knowing she needed to get out of the house now if she wanted to make it out alive. 

The sounds, the sights, even the smells were overwhelming her. She felt like the walls around her were caving in as her chest felt tight. She was gasping for breath. She finally reached the crib. Her balance faltering as she grabbed the railing to steady herself.