XXXVIII: Down the Rabbit Hole

After Klaus fed her his blood, Caroline healed instantly. Briana wrapped her baby sister in her arms afraid that if she let her go she would wild up in danger once again. Her entire life Briana had tried to protect Caroline. Protect her physically, mentally, her innocence, and after she turned, Briana was determined to protect her humanity. 

"Are you sure you're okay?" Briana asked with worry in her voice as she pulled apart from Caroline who was practically good as new. 

Caroline let a small, light hearted laugh escape her lips, "I'm fine Bri, I promise." 

Klaus sat in the opposite corner of the Gilbert living room he and Briana were still locked in. He was watching the girls closely. The guilt of what he did was hitting him. Seeing the tears in Briana's eyes as she begged him to save Caroline's life, realizing the pain he caused the woman he loves in that moment, it was one of the first time he felt true remorse.

An awkward silence filled the room as Briana scanned Caroline up and down looking for any sign of distress. Caroline watched her sister with a sympathetic smile before letting out a small sigh. 

"Can I ask you something?" Caroline spoke just above a whisper, snapping Briana's attention back to the blonde. 

Briana looked at her sister with anticipation as she carelessly nodded. 

Caroline's shoulder fell as she took a deep breath, almost out of confidence, "Why didn't you tell me about Hayley?" 

Briana's soft smile faded as her shoulder dropped in defeat. She broke away from Caroline's gaze as thoughts swirled through her head. She rubbed frustrated hands over her face. 

Briana opened her mouth to speak but it was like she couldn't find the right words. As she was trying to gather her thoughts, her eyes found Klaus' from across the room. 

She was still angry with him, but something about him immediately calmed her down. They didn't speak a word but the look in his eyes gave her all the clarity she needed. 'Just be honest with her' his gaze spoke, 'she loves you no matter what' they reassured. 

The corners of Briana's lips turned upwards slightly as a silent thank you, Klaus' returning the exact same look. 

Briana let out a deep breath as she turned back to Caroline, "I-I don't know.. I should've told you. I think some part of me was afraid that this would hurt you o-or change things between us." 

Briana could feel her heart rate rise with nerves. She reached for Caroline's hand, "You have to know that-- that you will always be my sister." 

Briana was terrified that this revelation was going to change the way that Caroline saw her and the relationship they had spent the past 18 years building. The bond they shared was so special, she couldn't let that go. 

Caroline smiled sincerely as she playfully shook her head, placing her hand on top of her sister's, "Of course I'm always going to be your sister Bri." 

Briana let out a sigh of relief as a wide smile formed on her face. Caroline watched the relief watch over her sister. This was nothing new to Caroline. The way Briana holds everything so deep inside terrified of what others may think, and then watching the relief come over her when she realizes everything will be okay. 

"But for as long as I can remember, you've always wondered where you came from." Caroline spoke. 

Briana gave her sister a confused look. 

"If Hayley is the key to finally giving you that closure, you need to go after it." Caroline spoke. 

There were no words that Briana could say so instead she practically jumped into her younger sister's arm wrapping her a warm hug. A stray tear fell from Briana's eye.