XXXI: My Brother's Keeper

It was already the early hours of the morning when Klaus and Briana's conversation about the cure and the possibility of turning into her a hybrid winded down. Briana insisted on going home, she had a lot to think about. 

Klaus was visibly hurt by her response, but he knew he had to be patient with her. The possibility of immortality would be a heavy topic for anyone to process, but Briana holds her humanity close to her heart. Klaus honestly didn't know if she would be willing to give that up. 

When Briana triggered her werewolf curse, she lost a part of herself. The purity of being human in a town of supernaturals. She was a wreck for days refusing to accept the change within her, part of Klaus wondered, that despite his selfish reasons for wanting Briana to transition, if she would be able to take it. There was a chance this could go completely wrong. 

Briana didn't sleep. Her mind played devils advocate all night. Her thoughts were an endless stream of pros and cons. On one hand, the possibility of a vampire seemed completely insane to her. She would lose her humanity for good. Everything would be different. The life she planned would no longer be in reach, but at the same time, her persecution of what she wanted in life changed when she met Klaus anyways. 

On the other hand, the thought of forever with Klaus lingered over her. She wanted it. She had spent sleepless nights wondering what would happen in their future, or if they could even one. She would age and he wouldn't and eventually she would die. But was the risk of giving up part of herself worth the reward of living forever? 

"You're not dressed yet? Come on! We're going to be late!" Caroline's voice snapped Briana out of her thoughts. 

Briana groaned getting up and out of her bed, "Okay, okay give me 5 minutes." 

"I'll give you three and half. Let's go!" Caroline spoke sternly as she stormed out of Briana's room and down the stairs.

Because they were both founding family member and past Miss Mystic Falls winners, the Forbes sisters were practically in charge of running this years pageant. Caroline had a majority of the responsibilities considering she was the reigning winner, but she made sure the constantly remind Briana of all the things that need to be done in order to make the event a success. 

As soon as the girls arrived at the Lockwood estate where the pageant was being held, Caroline immediately started dishing out orders left and right. Briana couldn't help but giggle at how seriously Caroline was taking this, clipboard in hand and all.

As Caroline finished assigning all the volunteers tasks, she shoved an extra clipboard into Briana's hands, "You, my beautiful sister, get the most important job of all. You get to my right hand." 

Briana looked at the clipboard that was now in her hand before immediately handing it back to Caroline, "No thank you!" 

Briana grinned sarcastically. Caroline gave her sister a stern look as she shoved the clipboard into Briana's chest, "Funny. Now. Chop chop. Those napkins aren't going to fold themselves." 

Caroline sauntered away after her demand. Briana rolled her eyes taking the clipboard into her hand. 

"This isn't how this works you know! The older sister is supposed to boss the younger one around!" Briana defended playfully, knowing no matter how hard she tried, she would never be able to get out of pageant prep. 

"Napkins!" Caroline demanded in a sing song tone without even turning her back. Briana admitted defeat before making her way outside to the table piled high unfolded napkins. 

-----------------