VI: The Birthday

Briana had spent the last few months traveling all over the country with Klaus and Stefan. Her plan when she left Mystic Falls was to go with Stefan to keep and eye on him. To make sure there was some part of his humanity left in tact after his forced ripper binge. Stefan wasn't happy Briana was putting herself in danger at his expense, but she had told him repeatedly that she wasn't going anywhere. 

Klaus on the other hand was more than happy with Briana's company despite her witty comebacks for his every move. He admired her bravery and her strength. He was intrigued by her. He wanted to know more about her, and he tried to every chance he got. 

Briana found herself intrigued by Klaus. In the dull lows of their travels she found herself actively getting to know more about him. They found themselves talking late at night about Klaus' world travels or Briana's childhood, whatever topics the conversation naturally lead them to. Always out of Stefan's sight and ear shot. 

Her friends back in Mystic Falls weren't sold on Briana offering herself to leave town with the original hybrid, but they knew there was no way they could stop her. She was stubborn, when she had a thought in her head, she stuck to it. 

Caroline, surprisingly, took the news the best. She had all the faith in the world that her older sister knew what she was doing. She knew Briana never acted on impulse. Briana told Liz she was going to spend the summer looking at four year universities, while Liz didn't completely buy her story, she was just happy to get Briana out of Mystic Falls with all the supernatural drama going on, not knowing her daughter was with the most ruthless supernatural creature of them all. 

 Damon, on the other hand, took it by far the worse, even in the midst of healing from a deadly werewolf bite. He was constantly calling, which she ignored, and texting Briana giving her lecture after lecture about why she needed to come home which she didn't respond to. 

In the short amount of time, Briana had become accustomed to her new daily routine with Stefan and Klaus. Wake up, find some werewolves, torment Klaus a little bit, make Stefan uncomfortable with her obvious sexual chemistry with Klaus, eat, drink, repeat. 

Today she found herself somewhere in Tennessee. It was humid which already soured her mood and Klaus had her trancing through the middle of nowhere trying to find some werewolf that probably won't even be in this state. She had learned a few things throughout their travels, and one of is that no one is ever where Klaus thinks they are. Maybe that's how Katherine managed to escape from him for 500 years. 

As the trio walked up to a house in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night Briana complained relentlessly, "I know you two are big bad supernaturals, but one of us is human and we've been walking for, I don't exactly know how many, but like a lot of miles." She groaned causing a soft laugh to escape Klaus' lips. 

"Don't worry sweetheart, we're here." Klaus looked at her as the house came into view. Klaus directed Stefan on what he was to do before Stefan vamped off in the opposite direction. 

Klaus turned back towards Briana as he approached her, face to face as he grabbed her arm softly, "You don't leave my sight. Do you understand?" He said lowly, a protective tone clear in his voice.

The ends of her lips fought hard to form a smile, but she did her best to reject it and simply nodded her head. Klaus tried relentlessly to get Briana to wait in the car or hotels when they wen't on their little missions so she wouldn't get hurt, but she refused. She tried telling herself it was because she wouldn't let Stefan be alone with Klaus, but deep down she wanted to spend as much time with the hybrid as possible. 

Her thoughts were interrupted as they heard a females voice yelling in the direction of the house, "Rudy cmon. It's too hot to make me come looking for you."