XIX: Dangerous Liaisons

Bill Forbes took his last breath later that night, both of his daughters holding his hand at his bedside. Briana woke up this morning, her head and emotions running all over the place. 

On one hand, Bill's death, as a tragic as it was, signified a new beginning for Briana. She had finally learned the truth about where her relationship with her father went wrong and she was able, to at least begin to, make peace with him. Briana would never admit it because deep down she felt terrible for even having the thought, but Bill's death washed over her with relief. She was finally able to close that chapter of her life and look forward. She would no longer stay up wondering and dwelling on the pain. In a way, she was free. 

But on the other hand, she also had her regrets. Regret that she did not try to reconcile with her father sooner. Regret that they would never have the chance to repair their fractured relationship. Regret that she wasted so much time hating him, time she would never get back. 

Briana sat up in her bed, collecting her thoughts before getting ready for her. The house was filled with an uncomfortable silence since last night. Though Briana barely slept, she came to the realization that life goes on. There is no point in dwelling in what could've been. 

A knock on her bedroom door broke Briana from her thoughts. She looked up to see Caroline entering the room, a brown box with a big white bow on it. Briana furrowed her brow. 

"I think this is for you." Caroline spoke sarcastically with a wide smile on her face. 

She took a seat on the end of her sister's bed handing her the box. Briana cautiously took it. She lifted the top of the box with a confused look on her face. 

Her jaw dropped when she noticed the sparkling dark red ball gown. She reached for the card as Caroline spoke cheerfully, "Well her certainly has good taste." 

Briana playfully rolled her eyes and giggled as she read the back of the invitation for the Mikaelson ball. 

A beautiful dress for a beautiful girl. Save me a dance, sweetheart. Love, Nik

"That he does.. or at least I like to think so." Briana responded happily to her sister's prior comment earning giggles from both girls. 

----------------

Briana walked into the Mikaelson mansion with Caroline at her side. Her hair was perfectly curled, with red lipstick to match her red dress. 

Within only a minute of being at the ball, Briana locked eyes with Klaus. His smile grew upon seeing her, especially in the dress he had picked out of her. 

When he saw her, he had sworn time stopped. It was like the room full of strangers had disappeared and it was only them. Her smile widened as she gave him a flirty wink noticing he was walking over to her. 

"Hello love." He spoke smoothly with a smile on his face. 

Briana blushed, she could feel her cheeks getting warm, "Hey handsome." She smiled as she greeted him with a quick kiss. 

Caroline cleared her throat, Briana had forgotten she was there, "Yeah that confirms it. I need a drink." The blonde quipped as she walked away from the couple and towards the bar. 

Briana and Klaus stifled their childlike giggles on blushed faces as Caroline left. 

"You, sweetheart, looks absolutely ravishing in that dress." Klaus smirked, looking Briana's body and up and down. He was practically salivating at the sight of her.