XLII: The Originals

Two Weeks Later...

Klaus Mikaelson hung his head as he walked through the foyer of the Mikaelson mansion. He was a broken man whose own paranoia had taken ahold of him. He was alone. In the matter of a month, he had lost everything. His home, his family, the woman he loved, and now he had even lost the cure to vampirism. 

As he stepped near the bar cart to pour himself a much needed drink he spotted a note standing against the bottle of bourbon. He furrowed a brow as he reached for it, not knowing the contents inside would set his immortal life on entirely new course. 

It read: 

'Klaus, 

I hear Elijah as refused you the cure, and in return you've refused me my freedom. Shame on you both. But while you boys sort out your problems, I have one last thing to offer you. I've caught wind that there is a witch in New Orleans named Jane Anne Deveraux plotting a move against you. Hunt her down. What she has to say will rattle you so deeply to your core that chasing little old me will be the least of your problems. It's been a fun five centuries Klaus, but I've worn down too many good heels running from you. 

Love and Hate, Katerina'

As the words registered in Klaus' mind his expression turned to one mixed of confusion and fear. He didn't hesitate as he gathered his things and headed out the door, returning to the place he used to call home. The city he used to rule. He didn't know what was waiting there for him, but he was determined to find out, and put it to rest. 

----------------------

Briana and Hayley sat at the bar, in a small little establishment just off the beating path of the French Quarter. A map laid out in front of them as their minds worked together to determine the next area of the Crescent City they would explore for answer about their origin. 

"Third time in here this week." The bartender pointed out with a small smile at the two girls who had been frequenting the bar. 

Their soft smiles light up the dim lit room.

"I'm obsessed with the gumbo Jane Anne." Briana smiled sweetly taking another bite of the dish in front of her. 

"It's true. She literally can't get enough of it." Hayley added with an innocent smile. 

"The old ladies in the ninth ward say my sister, Sophie, bleeds a piece of her soul into each dish." Jane Anne smiled as she poured her drink. Her gaze focused on the doorway to the kitchen where her sister chopped vegetables. 

"We asked around the quarter about our family.." Hayley trailed looking up from the map. 

"And?" Jane Anne questioned as she placed a fresh drink in front of Hayley. 

"We got absolutely nothing." Briana said slightly frustrated as she placed another spoonful of gumbo into her mouth. 

"It's like there's not a single person in this city who remembers them." Hayley said with disappointment in her voice.  

Briana's heart broke for Hayley. Obviously the older werewolf had her questions about her biological family, she wanted to know what happened to them, but in the end, she was grateful for the life she had. She had a true family. One that loved and cared for her unconditionally. One who she missed more and more each day she was apart from them. 

But Hayley didn't have that. She never had somewhere to call home or people to love and protect her. Now, all she had was Briana. So even though Briana could accept the fact their family was gone, she wanted the answers for Hayley. She wanted to give her the closure she deserved so she could find her own place in this world.