XXXVII: Into the Wild

The first night stuck in the Gilbert house was... hectic. Bonnie spell was bound to the new moon to give the group time to travel to Nova Scotia where Jeremy's hunt had identified the cure was buried, meaning the spell would last 2-3 days. 

Klaus spent hours trying to break through the barrier. He refused to admit that he had been bested. Briana spent the night listening to his threatening rants and trying to diffuse the fire of rage that was burning deep inside the hybrid. 

When he finally wore himself out from trying to take down the barrier. He sat beside Briana pulling her into his arms, and he broke. It wasn't the normal breakdown with hysterical crying and gasping for breath. It was the deafening silence kind. 

Klaus didn't know what to say. There was nothing to say. He lost his youngest brother. He watched as the white oak stake was embedded into his chest and his body lit aflame. Briana didn't know what to say to him either. Nothing she could say would bring Kol back. Nothing would take away Klaus pain and grief, or his guilt she knew he was silently battling. 

Eventually as the minutes turned into hours the couple drifted into sleep in one another's arms. They laid on the couch, Briana's head resting on Klaus' chest. The soft sound of her breathing was the perfectly melody to put him to sleep. She rubbed soft circles with her finger tips into his chest as he played with her hair,  placing a few soft kisses to her head. 

As the sun crept through the window the next morning Briana stirred awake, noticing Klaus was standing at the threshold of the Gilbert living room. Standing still staring at his brother's corpse. Briana sighed silently out of empathy as she walked towards Klaus, wrapping her arms around his waist. 

"Are you okay?" She spoke just above a whisper. She knew it was a stupid question to ask, obviously he wasn't okay, but she didn't know what else to say. 

Klaus let out a small breath as he pulled Briana into his side, his eyes never leaving Kol's body. 

"I'm sorry." Briana whispered, trying to hold back her own tears. She watched as Klaus blinked away his own. It was like he refused to cry in front of her. He refused to let her see him weak, even though in Briana's eyes, this was the strongest she's ever seen him. 

The sound of the front door creaking up interrupted the silence that previously filled the air. 

"Morning sunshine." 

Briana turned her head to see Tyler Lockwood leaning against the entry way of the living room with a smug grin. Klaus didn't budge.

"You look pathetic." Tyler taunted at Klaus. Briana rolled her eyes pulling away from the Mikaelson. 

"Seriously? Isn't this torture enough?" Briana spoke with annoyance at the younger hybrid. 

The last thing Klaus needed right now was Tyler Lockwood. Klaus was already on the brink of snapping at one foul move, and with Tyler, it was bound to happen. 

"Only until Bonnie's spell locking me in here wears off. Then I'll look different." Klaus replied to Tyler's remark monotonously with no emotion. Briana snapped her head in his direction, this being the first time he's spoken in hours. 

Klaus' gaze was still on Kol. Briana wondered if he thought if he looked away Kol would disappear. Even though he was already gone, it was like Klaus was holding on to last piece of him. 

Klaus turned slowly to face the Lockwood boy. He sneered, "Angrier perhaps." 

Briana could hear the rage in his voice. She knew that any moment now it was going to get ugly and she wouldn't be able to diffuse it.