48: The Arrival

RIKU

I cant get my mind to focus anymore. My bunny is expecting to give birth at any moment now and I have to be there for her. Dad forced me to come with him to check one of our warehouses and that's the only reason I'm not with Berry. It would be too dangerous for her.

"Son, would you calm down for five minutes and focus on the warehouse? You're acting crazier than I did when your mother was in the same boat Berry is" Dad said, going through our inventory as I dozed off.

What sucks is that he's right. Everyone was. I'm getting so worked up about my kid, the guy who nearly over a year ago didnt even want to be touched by a girl. Now, ever since I met Berry, my life has been for the better and I'm so damn happy about it.

"Yeah, sorry papa. Just nervous. I dont want her to end up having trouble like mama did"

"Berry is doing better than your mother did"

"I'm talking about the birth. Mama struggled giving birth to two people, and Berry is still pretty young to be giving birth to one"

"Pedo-" He mumbled, but I heard him. I smacked his head and he groaned, holding the back of his head.

"Stop calling me that. She is 19 and of legal age" She had her birthday a month ago and we may or may not have had our 'special' time together that said day. The kid was healthy so I wasnt feeling bad for it. Worth it.

Besides, he keeps forgetting I'm 22.

"Heh, sorry son. Still slightly in the wrong mind with remembering things" He laughed, but it didnt sound like he was joking. His smile slowly faded while he looked away from me.

"You alright..?" I asked, resting my hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah.. just lucky I got to see my kid experience these moments.." He said, clearly saying what he was upset about without saying it. I gave him a tight bear hug.

"You may have miss my childhood, but you're here now, and that's all I care about. You're the best dad in the world" I reassured him, meaning every word.

"That title might not last, though" He chuckled, hugging me back and smiling, which made me a bit confused.

"How so?"

"Another kid is gonna say that again soon but for you" He looked at me with soft eyes, making me smile back at him. I knew what he was talking about. He was talking about my kid.

"You're gonna be a great dad, Riku. I know you're mother raised you very well during my absence, and I know how much you love Berry, how much you love your whole family, and how much you'll love your new one"

"Thanks, dad. That means alot that I got to hear you say that" I tell him. After Dad 'died', I had made a silly list of things I always wanted to do with him, or hear from him. It was stupid, but that list is still in my bedroom in my desk. Ever since he got back, I've been crossing off the items on the list as we went. Like some bucket list.

"I love you, Riku" He mumbled, hugging me tighter.

"I love you too, Dad" I responded, getting tighter as well, knowing he needed it.

The rest of the evening went on as originally planned, with only one bastard trying to steal from us. We dealt with him easily because that idiot thought he would be sneaky in a highly guarded warehouse, without any weapons either.

A couple minutes before we decided to leave, I got a call from an unknown number. Slightly alarmed, I answered but without making it obvious who I was.

"Hel-"

"Ri! Get down here, now!" Aaron said from the other line. I was glad it was him but I also was confused why he called from a different number, but will get the answer when I leave.

"What happened, Aaron?" I asked, getting in the driver's side of the car and tracking the phone Aaron was calling from, which was inside the Mafia Hospital.

"Berry is in labor"

Those words alone got me off the phone immediately, starting the car and pulling out of the driveway, rushing over to the hospital. I could tell I was going faster than usual because Dad was slightly uneasy by the unfamiliar speed.

"Woah, kiddo, what's going on?" He asked, turning to me but I didnt look away from the road, nor slowing down.

"Berry" I simply answered, seeing his face changed to realization at the single word.

Soon enough.. I was going to officially be a father..