chapter 15

One week later

Ezekiel

I sigh as I hear my stomach growling and crying for help again and I wish I could talk to it because I really need to finish my economics homework, but I stand up and decide to go see my mom so she could help my stomach with something.

I walk into the kitchen but my mom is not there , I turn to leave but my hunger gets worse especially looking right at the fridge and I have this edge to go and look for something , but I decide against it and I turn to leave , but I'm met with my mom holding some papers and she looks like she's in a hurry.

"Mom, where were you and what are those papers for?" I ask her as I go to help her with the ton of papers in her hand. But I think it's Mrs Luther who gave her these papers because ever since she came back she has been making my mother work extra hard for stupid and small things. It's been a week and I can't tolerate it anymore and I don't think she ever stayed for that long but it seems like she's planning to stay longer than usual.

"Wow , thank you for that I really needed the reduction of these damn papers." My mother sighs and then looks at me with tired eyes.

"What are you doing here, are you hungry or what?" My mom asks already looking for the ingredients for preparing a sandwich for me. I smile at her and think about how she's the best mother someone could ever ask for.

"Yeah , what are these papers for anyway?" I ask my mom while looking and I smile as she hands me a box of grapes she probably got from the garden.

I look at the papers and I realise it's some decor ideas and menus. The menu consists of party - like food and drinks , I mean there's red wine , Margareta ,
Sushi , penne alla vodka and also some Chinese cuisine.

"Mom , what is this for really, I mean all these dishes , drinks and budget What's going on?" I ask taking a grape from the bowl and I look at my mother waiting for an answer.

"It's for Miss Alexandria's birthday party coming next week Friday, now I really need to make phone calls and emails to suppliers , oh and you'll be helping me." My mom says pacing around the room looking for god knows what , but the last part catches me off guard.

"Uhm , what do you mean I'll be helping you , I thought you said I don't need to anymore." I ask trying not to seem obvious that I don't want to help her with anything that has to do with Alexandria.

"Well Ezekiel that was when you were tutoring Alexandria, but now that Mrs Luther hired a new tutor for her , it means you're free , and that means you'll be back to working with me. So don't try to get out of this , ok?"

I see Alexandria walking down the stairs talking to someone on her phone , but all I think about is what she told me in her room one week ago. I can't seem to get it out of my mind and it's really driving me crazy , and I hate it .

She turns to look at me and I want to look away but those light brown eyes are holding me captive , but she doesn't look away also , and we just stand there and keep eye contact with each other like we've been doing for the past week .

I haven't really spoken to her since the day her mother came because the next a new tutor immediately came to replace me, and before I could even try to say a word to her ,Mrs Luther threatened me again.

I feel a tap on my shoulder bringing me back to life , and I turn to see my mother looking at me like I'm crazy.

"Ezekiel, your phone has been ringing for almost forever." My mother says and I hear my phone ringing in my pocket I take it out to see five missed calls from Zara . Shit , it rings again and I have this edge to just hang it up and go back to looking at Alexandria 's eyes.

WHAT, no Ezekiel she's your girlfriend.

I sigh and I answer the phone .

"Hey babe , I've been trying to call you for a while but you weren't answering , and you scared me you know. But are you ok?" Zara says immediately the minute I answer the call.

"Hey , uhmm yeah I'm ok ." I say awkwardly and I hope it's not obvious that I don't want to talk to her.

"Oh , I feel like we haven't been spending time together lately and I kinda miss you , so I'm coming over tonight and we can watch some movies and all sorts of stuff couples do ." She says sounding a little too excited.

"Zara it's Monday , which means tommorow there's school." I say hoping she doesn't remember what day it it's tomorrow.

"Awww, you're so cute right now because tomorrow is a public holiday which means no school for us ." Oh god she remembered.

I sigh and I see my mom looking at me as if she's listening to me . She points to the egg sandwich she made for me and I nod .

"Ok Zara , you can come , but I gotta go now ok bye." I hang up the call and my mom is looking at me like she wants to say something.

"You can say what you want to say you know , you don't have to look at me like that." I say to her while reaching for the sandwich.

"Was that Zara , your 'friend'." She says while smiling and giving me the 'i know' look, but I just look at her and go back to eating the sandwich.

I finish the other half and drink the juice she poured for me.

I sigh and look at her . " Yes that was my girlfriend Zara ." I say admitting that we're dating because I know she knows.

"Oh wow that's such awesome news to my ears , I never thought you would ever get with popular, hot girls like her . "She says with an amused tone.
"Good job son , good job." She says while patting my shoulder and turning to leave the kitchen.