Of expectations and enemies

"Club practice from today Rain?" Phayu asked, as he dressed for Uni. Rain was packing an extra bag because he had to go to the club for practice from that evening. On the weekend, Phayu had taken Rain shopping for new gear, wanting him to have something that Phayu had bought for him. Rain had been worried about the bracelet, so Phayu had told Rain to give it to him before he left for his practice. The night before, the whole family had sat Rain down and given him all the safety instructions he needed to follow at the club. He knew that it was for his own good, and so he had listened carefully. "I know you are worried Rain, but trust me, we have made sure all the possible steps have been taken, and Pakin's bodyguards will also be there. All that you have to worry about is keeping your head in the game and practice as much as you can," Kinn said.

Rain nodded. "Sure Pa Kinn," he said. Whatever worry he had, he would keep it within himself, wanting to make sure that this family never got involved into their messes again. Their grandparents had flown back the previous night, with the promise that they would come back very soon. After the amount of faith that they had shown on him and Sky, he just wanted to be able to do his best and live up to their expectations. And now that they wore the bracelets given to them by the Theerpanayakul family, and after the press conference, even those who hadn't known, would have come to know that they were dating P'Phayu and P'Pai, and that made both of them targets too. And now he just didn't have Sky to protect, he had them too.

"I will pick you up from the club Rain, okay?" Phayu said. Rain started to nod, then stopped. "No need Phi. You guys just take Sky home when you go. I will get home on my own," he said. "Rain," Phayu began. "Phi, I know what you want to say. But I will be safe, and you don't have to worry. I promise I will text you every single time, after reaching there, and before leaving from there and also during breaks, okay?" Phayu nodded, not happy about it, but backing off, knowing Rain was more than capable of taking care of himself. And he didn't want Rain to feel that he was being over protective, because that was the one thing that Rain hated. "Phi, I know I don't have to say this, but please take care of Sky. Before he used to come with me to the Art School, but now that he has the School Council and the Debate Club, he will be busy and have no time, plus you guys are there to take care of him," Rain smiled. Phayu hugged him close and stroked his head, a thread of worry twirling around his heart.

***********************************

Rain feinted right, and moved left as he dodged the other team and kicked the ball into the goal. The goalie missed, the referee blew the final whistle and Rain's entire team celebrated by giving high-fives and smashing chests. They had won 2-0. The two teams shook hands as they moved out of the field, joking and laughing. Phayu watched from afar, knowing that if Rain ever found out he had been here, he would be killed. He had been so restless at home that Sky had finally told him to go see Rain, just for his own peace of mind. But Sky had also warned him to be home before Rain did, otherwise there would be hell to pay, and he knew that very well. Phayu was impressed once again by Rain's skills, knowing that Rain deserved to be on the National Team, and thrilled that this wonderful talented boy was his, and only his.

When Rain entered the house, Sky was the only one there. "Where are P'Phayu and P'Pai?" he asked, surprised. "They went to freshen up at their place..," Sky trailed off as the door burst open and Pai rushed inside. Both the boys were startled and stared at Pai. "Phi?" Sky asked wonderingly. "They got them! They got them!" he panted out as Phayu burst in behind him. Rain and Sky stared at the two older boys with a completely dazed look on their faces. "What are you talking about?" Rain asked, now completely confused. "Dad called. P'Pakin found Gun and Stop. They have been handed over to the cops. It's over Sky! It's over Rain!" Pai said.

Both the boys stared at the older boys standing in front of them in disbelief, unable to process what was happening. "Rain? Sky? Say something? Please" Phayu said. Sky swayed and would have fallen if Pai had not jumped forward and caught him. Rain walked slowly towards Phayu. "Is it true Phi?" he whispered. Phayu nodded, afraid that if he spoke, the Rain he was seeing in front of him would shatter. Suddenly the strong Rain he knew looked fragile and easily breakable, and Phayu was scared to even touch him. "Rain?" Phayu said, his voice barely above a whisper. Rain burst into tears. Phayu immediately gathered him into his arms. He didn't say a word, just held the younger boy and let him cry out 3 years of fear, resentment and stress.