Chapter 1

Firstly it's not mine and I found this on Facebook

____________________________________

The Outcast Daughter

“You have only two months left.” Valérie Horton left the hospital with her diagnosis. She stood in the yard of the hospital idly and mocked herself inwardly, her face pale.

She remembered how happy she was yesterday when she went home after work with a piece of birthday cake.

The second Valerie ate the cake, she felt intense pain, as if her internal organs were twisted together. She passed out in the rented room due to the agony.

She was used to feeling this pain after experiencing it for two months. At first, she was worried. Yet, she didn’t go to the hospital as she thought it was nothing and she needed to save money. She had no idea it would cost her more.

On her 20th birthday, Valerie received the diagnosis of a terminal illness… Despite being an optimist, she was at a loss about the shocking news. She didn’t remember how she got on the bus and returned to her cheap rented room.

As Valerie saw the dirty walls, she finally snapped out of her trance.

She put down the diagnosis and started cleaning up quietly…

“Knock, knock. Valerie, are you home?”

Valerie rubbed her red–rimmed eyes and opened the wooden door. Susie Walton, Valerie’s landlady, was standing outside with a friend. She beamed when she saw Valerie.

“Valerie, I’m here for the rent.”

“Sure. I’ll transfer the money to your account now.”

Valerie quickly snatched her phone and made the money transfer.

Susie’s smile grew wider as she confirmed it on her phone.

“Good. Valerie, remember to come to me if you need anything.”

“I know, but I don’t need anything at the moment. Thank you, Susie.” After a few conventional remarks, Susie left and slammed the door shut.

Susie’s friend immediately grabbed her arm and leaned in.

“What’s going on? Why would a young girl live in this kind of place? This room was just a shabby warehouse. Why did you rent it to her?”

“Hey. I wasn’t the one who initiated it. That girl begged me, and I had to give in. The 25 dollars is her utilities.”

Susie glanced at the door and leaned closer to her friend.

“Well, it’s a secret. Don’t tell others. That girl is the outcast daughter of the Horton family.”

“What? The Horton family? That Horton family?” Susie hastily covered her friend’s mouth.

Susie thought, “I knew it. She’s such a big mouth.”

“Quiet! Don’t you remember that a daughter of the Horton family has gone missing? It’s said that Mrs. Horton missed her girl so much that she lost her mind. The Horton family blamed the elder daughter for not taking good care of her sister and claimed she did it on purpose. So, they kicked her out.”

Susie nodded at the door, gesturing to her friend that she was talking about Valerie.

They both knew how that story ended.

It was the news of Capstead as one of the wealthiest families had lost a daughter and kicked out the evil elder daughter.

Susie’s friend frowned.