Chapter 2

Reborn  

“Ms. Valerie, it’s morning…”

Valerie heard a gentle and kind voice.

She couldn’t move her boneless limbs, but her head was spinning due to the shock.

Valerie thought, “What?

Didn’t I die? I died peacefully in a village, right?

Ms. Valerie? Is this person addressing me?

Why does this voice sound so familiar?”

Valerie fought hard to open her heavy eyelids and blinked rapidly.

She looked in the direction of the voice.

Gradually, she saw a kind old man.

“Jayvion?!”

“Yes, Ms. Valerie.”

Valerie was completely awake and sat up swiftly.

“Jayvion, did you save me?”

“What? What are you talking about, Ms. Valerie?”

Jayvion’s smile dropped at Valerie’s strange question. He looked at Valerie in confusion.

Valerie couldn’t tell if she was dreaming or not. She asked directly.

“Jayvion, did you come here too?”

“Ms. Valerie… I don’t understand. Where should I go?” Valerie was confused too.

The old man and young woman stared at each other, their gazes full of questions.

Valerie got out of bed hurriedly. Her heart sank when she propped herself up on the bed.

Her heart had sunk to the bottom.

Valerie raised her hand and examined it carefully.

In disbelief, she touched her face and her body while looking around.

Everything looked familiar.

“Do I have to do this again in the afterlife?” Valerie was utterly shocked.

Jayvion was at a loss. He knelt in front of Valerie softly with a concerned look.

“Excuse me, Ms. Valerie.”

The old gentleman took off his white gloves and righted his gold- rimmed glas ses before putting his hand on Valerie’s forehead.

“You’re not having a fever. Ms. Valerie, are you too tired from making the nerv e–calming sachet for Mr. Kieran?” A nerve–calming sachet?

The word awakened something in Valerie. Her head snapped in the direction of her shabby desk.

The desk was covered with nerve–calming herbs and a semi– finished sachet. Valerie had picked those herbs and made the sachet all by he rself for Kieran.

A dirty full– length mirror sat beside her bed. Valerie turned and looked into the mirror.

She saw a petite girl in whitish pajamas. The girl’s skin and hair both had an u nhealthy yellow tone.

Valerie slapped herself hard on the face.

Jayvion jumped at the loud noise.

“No, Ms. Valerie. What’s wrong? Stop hurting yourself.”

Valerie didn’t stop and just kept on slapping herself, her eyes full of tears. She  was slapping herself to vent her anger and sorrow.

She was back. What was more, she was back to her younger self.