Chapter 21

She gets so little allowance

In a daze, Reyna led Valerie to her new room.

Only then did she realize that Valerie had fallen and got hurt.

“Does it hurt, Valerie? I’ll apply some ointment for you later.”

“It’s fine. The wounds will mostly recover tomorrow.” Valerie wasn’t intending to give Reyna a chance.

Watching Reyna lead her to a guest room, Valerie got a rough idea of what to expect.

“See, Valerie? This is the room your dad and I prepared for you! Do you like it ?”

The room was smaller than her previous one but larger than the storage room.

It was in a log style, a simple collection of solid colors that Valerie dug.

“Well? Do you like it?”

Reyna asked cautiously and tentatively, observing Valerie’s expression as she  asked.

There was still no change. Valerie still looked calm, and no one could tell her– emotions.

Reyna stared at Valerie’s face without blinking.

She wanted to hear what Valerie would say.

Valerie looked over her shoulder at Reyna, who looked nervous. Valerie sighe d helplessly.

“It’s great. I love it.”

She sounded happy. Reyna was relieved at once. “I’m glad that you like it. Be good from now on, OK?” Valerie sneered silently.

She thought, “Be good?

You took my room, and I was put in the storage room. I was there for two year s before you found out, and now you change my room.

You call it a surprise.

Since when has it been so difficult to have a room of my own in my own home ?

How can a room be a gift?

It is normal for parents to provide their kids with a comfortable room.

I tried to talk to you many times in my last life before I was kicked out.

Yet I never got to.”

Valerie suppressed her unhappiness and slowly breathed in and out through h er nostrils.

If she hadn’t gone out with Zoe to get the exercise book, they wouldn’t have fo und out at all.

She looked at the clean new room in front of her.

Yet she wasn’t happy at all.

She pretended so that Reyna wouldn’t feel awkward.

Everything in the room was new

There were some new clothes in the wardrobe.

All the old clothes were stored in the storage room.

Valerie’s eyes were gloomy and cold.

“Is the stuff in the storage room still there. Jayvion?”

“Yes. Ms. Valerie. Do you need anything? I’ll go fetch it for you.” Valerie shook her head.  

“Jayvion. I want a key to the storage room.”

Jayvion immediately knew what she wanted.

He figured that Valerie didn’t like the room.

He worked so hard today, for he wanted her to be happy, yet things went back way.

Jayvion was a little upset, but he still bent over to get closer to her.