Chapter 17

Valerie, I Didn’t Mean It  

“No, no. It’s for you.”

Valerie’s eyes widened.

But she was only shocked for a short time. Then she returned to being calm.

Her eyes were filled with doubt and inquiry.

She didn’t mean to do that.

But judging from the attitudes the Horton family had toward her, she had no idea why Reyna sent her the dessert.

And it was Zoe’s favorite strawberry cake.

Valerie made Reyna not know what to say.

Valerie was her biological daughter.

And she felt embarrassed when faced with her daughter.

“I just felt that I shouldn’t have yelled at you tonight…” Reyna’s voice turned lower and lower.

Reyna thought that she shouldn’t have yelled at Valerie. Then what?

So Reyna could just bring the cake to console Valerie and help her move past what happened that day?

Along with what had happened before?

It was hard to tell whether Valerie would forgive Reyna for what Reyna had do ne.

But Reyna knew that if this happened to her, she would definitely feel uncomfortable.

“Um… Nothing. Just put it on the desk.”

“Oh… Okay. Okay.”

Valerie didn’t think that much. Instead, she felt strange.

This was the first time Reyna had delivered her any food.

She sat on the chair, watching Reyna step forward and put the cake on the de sk. Then she waited for Reyna to leave.

With nothing in her hands, Reyna suddenly didn’t know what to say. She rubb ed her hands against each other.

Valerie said that it was okay.

But Reyna didn’t think that there was really nothing.

“Um… Valerie, I shouldn’t say that to you today. I didn’t mean it. I was too anxi ous at that time…”

Reyna felt when she was anxious, she couldn’t express what she wanted to s ay at all.

It sounded like that as long as she was anxious, she could treat Valerie casual ly like this.

Reyna knew that she shouldn’t say this, so she fell silent.

“Mom, I know it. You don’t need to say anything. I have to do my homework n ow. Can you please go out now?” 

Valerie raised her head and looked into Reyna’s eyes with pleading in her eye s.

She didn’t know how to treat Reyna when Reyna treated her like this.

In her mind, she remembered her previous life. After Zoe went missing, her m other, who rarely talked to her, pushed her several times.

Reyna pushed Valerie while scolding her mercilessly.

Just like tonight.

“Why didn’t you take a closer look at your sister? She is a human! How could you not see her? What do you want?”

At that time, Valerie was thirteen years old.

And she was scolded by her mother like this.

Then she completely lost hope.