Chapter 36: Go

In the afternoon, Cen Zhengnian left in a hurry after receiving a phone call.

Chu Xia thought it was about his work, so she didn't ask much.

An'an still wants to run out to sell things with Brother Bang and the others, but she is detained by Chu Xia.

"Have you finished your homework?"

Cen Huai'an rummages through his school bag and finds two notebooks and says, "Look, mom, I finished it at school."

"An'an, I think you spend too much time selling things."

Selling things after school, even when he's on holiday and not thinking about playing, Chu Xia is tired for him.

He's only five; he can relax a bit and do what he wants.

Cen Huai'an doesn't understand what Chu Xia means; didn't mom support him and Brother Bang in selling things? Why is she saying this now?

Cen Zhengnian felt he owed something to Cen Huai'an, so he was indulgent towards him. Except for the requirements when he is practicing and studying, he pampers him more than Chu Xia.

He doesn't know An'an well enough, but Chu Xia knows that An'an still has anxiety in his heart.

She hadn't said anything earlier, hoping that he would change unconsciously, but now she realizes that although he has changed, the hurt deep inside is not so easily gone.

"If you like, you can use selling as exercise after school. But I don't want you to take it up all your playtime. You like to play Five in a Row; how long has it been since you played with the kids in the building? You like doing Sudoku puzzles, but lately you don't do much of that when you get home either."

Cen Huai'an's brows knit up, as if he's seriously thinking about Chu Xia's words. After a while, he muffles his voice: "I like selling things the most."

If he sells things, he'll have money, and with money, he doesn't have to be afraid of anything.

Chu Xia sighed. She knew it was like this. She touches Cen Huai'an's head; his hair has grown out and is somewhere between soft and tangled.

"An'an, I think lately you should be able to feel that mommy and daddy love you. We both support you in doing what you like, but we don't want you to be so young that you only know how to make money. You're only five years old, you haven't been exposed to more things yet, and it's only normal that you should study well, read more, develop other interests, and go out to play more.

Selling things is the grind of life; it shouldn't be the mainstay of your life. With me and dad earning money, you can relax a bit. In the past, mom was bad and made you suffer, but now you can trust mom a little more."

Cen Huai'an looked at his mom; he couldn't help but think of the things he had done with her recently, and he thought of how happy he had been watching the National Day celebration with his mom and dad today.

It felt like he was experiencing his parents' love, which warmed his heart and made him feel like he was about to fly.

"But mom, the little kids in the family complex can't beat me at Five in a Row. I don't want to play with them. I'm done with that Sudoku book; I don't have any other hobbies."

Chu Xia got it; blame her for not realizing that An'an had a high IQ; he needed a higher level of challenge, and of course he would find it pointless to keep abusing the children.

She closes the book and stands up, pulls up Cen Huai'an's hand, and says, "Let's go; I'll take you somewhere."

Chu Xia knew that just talking wouldn't be enough. She had to nurture new interests in Cen Huai'an, using other hobbies to occupy his time so he wouldn't spend all his time selling things.