Chapter 82: Mid-Autumn Festival

On Sunday, the family arrived at the courtyard.

Jiang Zhida led Zhang Lu and Jiang Weixian. When the two children heard about picking jujubes, they pestered Jiang Zhida to join in the fun.

Chu Xia opened the vermilion gate of the courtyard. Huangzi and Heizi, the two dogs, couldn't wait and rushed into the courtyard. The originally cold and silent feeling of the house disappeared in an instant, replaced by a lively atmosphere.

Zhang Lu held Jiang Weixian with one hand and pulled Cen Huai'an with the other, laughing heartily as they followed the two dogs into the yard.

Cen Huai'an was forced to run along.

"Jujubes! So many jujubes!" Zhang Lu's loud cheers echoed from the yard.

Jiang Weixian also shouted "jujubes" along with her, but little An'an remained silent.

Chu Xia passed through the screen wall, her eyes were greeted by the courtyard covered with dry yellow leaves. Looking down, Chu Xia, a small figure, stood under a tall jujube tree, looking up at the jujubes with shining eyes.

Meanwhile, Zhang Lu was trying hard to climb the tree. Jiang Zhida lifted her by the collar, pulling her down like an eagle grabbing a chick. Jiang Weixian ran happily around the big tree, shouting.

Cen Zhengnian watched them, a smile in his eyes. "They are just like us when we were kids, picking jujubes together with big brother and Dazi."

Chu Xia reminisced, "I never picked jujubes when I was a child, but I did pick pomegranates."

Cen Zhengnian: "Grandpa's house has pomegranate trees, and they can be picked soon."

The seasons for pomegranates and jujubes are similar, both around the Mid-Autumn Festival.

Jujube trees are prone to a type of bug called the green stink bug, which is covered in poisonous thorns. A single touch can cause a swollen red lump. 

Therefore, before picking jujubes, Chu Xia, Cen Zhengnian, and others helped the children suit up, covering every inch of skin, even their faces.

Jiang Zhida, familiar with the surroundings, found a bamboo pole in the courtyard. He tied a tree branch in an inverted V shape to the bamboo pole and gently hooked it. The ripe jujubes fell one after another.

Zhang Lu and Jiang Weixian laughed and ran, not afraid of pain because they were wrapped tightly and wore thick hats.

Cen Huai'an lifted the hem of his clothes, forming a small pile of jujubes. With both hands pulling on his clothes, he ran to Chu Xia and Cen Zhengnian.

"Mom, Dad, eat jujubes."

As he spoke, he lifted his clothes to reveal the jujubes in his pocket.

The jujubes in Cen Huai'an's coat pocket, varying in size, mostly half red and half green, looking very sweet.

Chu Xia smiled, reached out to take a few, wiped them on her gloves, took a bite, and then stuffed one into Cen Huai'an's mouth.

Indeed, the jujubes were crispy and sweet, with plenty of moisture, making people unable to resist wanting to eat more.

Cen Zhengnian also took a few jujubes, smiled, patted Cen Huai'an's head, and let him eat on his own.

Zhang Lu and Jiang Weixian squatted on the ground picking up the just-fallen jujubes, eating while picking. In the nearby basket, only a few jujubes were left unthrown.

Cen Huai'an emptied the jujubes from his clothes into the basket, holding two jujubes, squatting on the ground, eating and picking.

Jiang Zhida had only tested the jujubes with the bamboo pole to confirm its usability. He called out to Cen Zhengnian, "Second cousin, find a bedsheet and spread it underneath to catch the jujubes!"