Chapter 53: New Year's Greetings

Cen Zhengnian had walked to the bedside. Just as he was about to lift the covers and get into bed, he heard those words from Chu Xia. He looked up at her with a hint of joy in his eyes.

His wife being concerned about him always brought a sweet feeling to his heart whenever he thought about it.

He earnestly explained to her, "I've never had any private contact with Fang Lingling. When I was at the base, I was solely focused on my work. So, what you mentioned about being popular, it's not true."

He even carefully recalled his life at the base and the people around him, and he confirmed that Fang Lingling was the only one whose thoughts weren't entirely on work.

Chu Xia, upon hearing his serious reply, was momentarily stunned. She had only been joking, but Cen Zhengnian explained it so seriously, almost as if he was afraid she might misunderstand.

"I..." she opens her mouth, not knowing what to say.

At this point, Cen Zhengnian had already sat on the bed beside her, reaching out and holding her hand. "I know; I'm afraid you might misunderstand."

He knew Chu Xia had no intention of asking for trouble, and even if she did, it was justified. However, he didn't want her to have any potential misunderstandings about this matter.

Chu Xia's heart skipped a beat as she looked at Cen Zhengnian. It was as though her heart missed a beat, yet a drop of honey gently drizzled inside, leaving a faint sweet taste.

"I didn't misunderstand." Chu Xia quickly averted her gaze, afraid that stealing more glances at him would make her heartbeat even more uncontrollable.

Cen Zhengnian laughs out, "Uh-huh."

Listening to his laughter, Chu Xia suddenly felt her face warming up. Unconsciously, she grasped the book that had just been placed beside her. Her heart started racing again.

"Did you see the calligraphy?" Cen Zhengnian suddenly spoke.

Chu Xia took a moment to react, remembering what calligraphy he meant. Thinking about the poem written on that paper, she blushed even more.

"I did." Chu Xia pursed her lips, trying hard to maintain composure as she asked, "Why did you think of writing Zijin?"

Zijin [子衿] is not a full poem but a part of one of the verses in the "Odes of Zheng" a section in the ancient Chinese classic "Book of Songs". Zijin is a term describing the collar of a garment.

The meaning of this poem was too clear. Just the thought of Cen Zhengnian writing it for her made Chu Xia's ears flush.

Cen Zhengnian leaned against the head of the bed, completely relaxed. His tone carried a gentle, smiling expression: "When I wrote it, I felt this poem resonated most with my state of mind."

He indeed missed his wife and child. While he dedicated himself entirely to work, every time he took a break, the image of spending time with Chu Xia and An'an would overwhelmingly occupy his entire mind.

Cen Zhengnian wanted to accompany An'an to school, solve Chu Xia's queries on their studies in the evenings, and wake up in the morning to see both of their faces. That kind of happiness was indescribable.

Once you have tasted it, you will be addicted to it and will never be able to quit.

Cen Zhengnian asked Chu Xia how she found his handwriting.

Chu Xia pondered for a moment before saying, "Better than mine."

"What about compared to Grandpa's?" Cen Zhengnian looked at her, his eyes carrying a warmth that seemed to melt.