10. The Start of Rivalry

Remus Lupin

Thursday, 2nd September 1971.

Hogwarts

The four friends went through the Clock Tower Courtyard and into the Hogwarts grounds. Remus kept turning to look at the stunning castle, still in disbelief that the magnificent structure had become his new home for the next seven years.

This was the first time he got a proper look at it. While on the little boats yesterday, he didn't dare to look due to the moon being visible. He couldn't even look at the lake because of the moon's reflection which left him with the view of his lap.

Sirius had to tug on his shirt to keep him from lagging behind the group. The grounds were just as beautiful as the castle, with a big lake taking probably one fourth of the Hogwarts' grounds. There was a lot of trees and tempting lounging spots underneath them. He could easily picture himself with the other three in the shade every day.

As soon as the Quidditch Pitch was in James' sight, Remus saw the boy's eyes widen. He didn't even have to speak for everyone to know their next destination.

Truth be told, James' reaction was justified. Remus did like quidditch to an extent, he liked watching it, but not playing it, so he had gone to some games with his dad. The Ministry would sometimes give free tickets to its workers, which meant father-son bonding experience on the stands while the game was played.

All in all, Remus had seen enough Quidditch pitches to know what was good and what wasn't. This one though, was breathtaking. With high spectator seats split along four houses, designated with colors, and a one main spectator booth for the professors, the whole thing looked amazing.

The four of them weren't the only ones to notice this beauty. There was a group of students admiring the pitch as well, so they tried to move to the side of the main entrance, where it was less crowded, to take a closer look.

Once there, Remus saw that he and James weren't the only ones in a trance, Sirius and Peter had their mouths slightly parted while enjoying the view.

"I guess the Sorting Hat did see that you have no brain.", the unfamiliar voice reached them.

Remus didn't pay it too much attention, seeing as he didn't recognize it, but then he realized that James and Sirius have turned towards some boy. He had a bit of a longer, greasy hair and was accompanied by three friends.

Remus figured that his comment was indeed directed at them because the boy was looking directly at James while snickering with the other three by his side. He remembered seeing all of them at the Sorting Ceremony. Severus Snape, Danon Avery, Edmond Mulciber and Finnian Wilkes, they were all sorted into Slytherin.

While Remus looked confused as to why Snape insulted James out of the blue, the boy with glasses carried an amused expression.

"If it could, it would have sent you home the moment it touched the grease on your head.", James pointed to his own mess of hair mockingly, "Did you say that to your friend as well seeing as she is in Gryffindor too? What was here name? Lily?", he quirked an eyebrow at Snape.

Needless to say, Remus was completely lost. How did James know this boy and who is this Lily he was talking about. When he turned to the other two of his companions, Remus found Peter with the same confused expression as his own, but Sirius was glaring at the boy knowingly.

Snape narrowed his eyes while his hands curled up into fists. When Remus saw that, he automatically stepped nearer James. His action was followed by Sirius and Peter as well.

The other group seemed to do the same, stepping closer towards, now red, Snape who pointed his finger accusingly at James, "You keep her name out of your mouth.", he spat.