40. Nice One

A/N: This is one of my favourite chapters so far! I hope you like it <3

Sirius Black

Thursday, 19th October 1972.

Hogwarts

Their suspicions were proved to be true once the new DADA professor kicked Sirius and James out of the classroom just for answering a question he asked them.

"That one really doesn't like us, huh?", Sirius questioned James once the two grabbed the invisibility cloak from their dorm. They wanted to sneak into Slughorn's ingredients cupboard and get some Newt Spleen for the Ageing potion they wanted to brew.

The idea was to spike Dumbledore's drink and see how the man will look. Although, there was this concern that the headmaster would just die on the spot seeing as he was already around hundred years old and Sirius and James weren't really ready to face Azkaban for murdering one of the most powerful wizards of all time.

They wrote to Mr. Potter to make sure that nobody will be trialed for murder and James' dad confirmed that, in the hypothetical scenario, the effects of Ageing potion were purely physical on older people.

Since the two were kicked out of class, why not use the spear time to gather the last ingredient they needed. Time is pranks, James said wisely to Sirius. The two decided to put the cloak on when they neared the Dungeons since corridors were empty due to everyone being in class.

"Maybe he doesn't like us since you can't keep your mouth shut?", James tried to sound annoyed, but the grin across his face completely ruined the act.

Sirius crossed his hands defensively, "I only told him that brown can remind me only of the things in the toilet which are pretty boring while black can be interesting and versatile."

James started laughing his head off, "Sirius, his name is Mr. Brown. You could have kept that statement to yourself."

"Well he asked me why I thought I should be allowed to speak while he speaks!", Sirius exclaimed and then he flicked James on the head, "You didn't have to laugh and say He has a point.", Sirius imitated James' voice which made the boy laugh even more, "Then you could have stayed in that boring classroom."

They were now on the first floor. Only two more sets of staircases and they will reach the Dungeons. James whipped the tears from his eyes before patting Sirius on the shoulder, "Guess we have to learn from Pete and Remus how to be more discreet."

"Oh, would you look at this beautiful sight.", the voice came from in front of the two Marauders. They were in such important and deep conversation that they didn't even see three figures emerging from around the corner.

Sirius scanned the three boys. One was obviously the Slytherin Quidditch captain, Selwyn, and he recognized the other two from that night when the Marauders escaped the Slytherin common room.

"Guess fate was finally on our side.", Selwyn stated while inching closer to them. They stopped a few meters away from Sirius and James and then Selwyn finally spoke again, "We've been looking for the two of you—"

Sirius really hated these unproductive conversation starters. He always liked going straight to the point, "Then you really didn't put that much effort into it, did you?", that was pretty true. Wherever Sirius and James went, they were quite easy to point out since chaos followed.

The older boy just smirked, "Yeah, we've seen you two around, but that isn't the same as getting this private interaction, is it?", the three Slytherins took one step forward, but Sirius and James stood their ground.