27. Inconveniences

Severus Snape

Monday, 13th March 1972.

Hogwarts

Severus woke up at six in the morning sharp. Like usually, he was the first one out of bed, so he was able to get ready in peace. A major con in being a Hogwarts student was the lack of privacy. It could only be acquired from waking up as early as possible, and Severus valued his privacy very much.

Just as he was tying his shoes, Danon started to stir in bed. Severus huffed at a pure sight of laziness from his friends and went down to the common room to finish his Potions essay.

There was just something so powerful when it came to their common room. It was dark with only candles as its light source. The Slytherin's headquarters were positioned underneath the Black Lake which gave it such a stunning view from the windows and threw a greenish gleam to the room.

It was Monday which meant that after classes he and Lily will go on a walk on the grounds. Usually, Severus loved school and learning, but on Mondays he wanted nothing more than for that last bell to ring.

He still didn't know what was it about Lily that struck him so hard, all he knew was that he couldn't stop looking at her. Anywhere he went, Severus was searching for a pair of green eyes and red hair. He would dream of her, think of her, imagine her... All he wanted to do all day and every day was just talk to her and be in her presence.

As the last word was written completing his essay, there were Danon, Edmond and Finnian, walking towards him. Severus closed his Potions book dramatically and lifted his gaze to look at the trio, "Finally, I'm starving."

The Slytherins made it to the Great Hall and sat down to have breakfast. Like every morning, Severus grabbed a cup and filled it with hot water. He then placed a tea bag in it and scooted it further to the right.

It was such a beautiful morning without an obnoxious birthday song and more importantly, without those four idiotic Gryffindors in sight. Just that fact made Severus sigh in contentment.

He turned to the toast plate and took two pieces along with the glass dish that held the butter. Like always, there was a butterknife next to his plate which he grabbed as well. Severus proceeded with the action of buttering his toast while his attention was on the three boys around him, but as soon as he reached into the butter, he frowned. The pressure was different than usual, like he took something similar to a fork and not the knife.

Sure enough, when Severus looked down at the cutlery in his hand, it was indeed a fork. Searching around the table, he saw the butterknife at the other side of his plate. Maybe it was still the morning sleepiness.

He got rid of the fork and grabbed the knife returning his attention to Finnian who was describing a dream he had. But as he tried to scoop the butter again, it now felt like he used something similar to a spoon. Confused, Severus glanced at the butter and, sure enough, there was a spoon in his hand staring back at him.

Now, with little more irritation, he scanned the table. The knife stood on top of his plate. He squinted his eyes and glanced towards the Gryffindor table, specifically looking for the group of brainless boys, but the seats that they usually occupied were still empty.

His frown deepened as he carefully took the knife, again, making sure that it indeed was the knife. Once he was convinced enough, his gaze returned to Finnian, but when Severus tried to scoop the butter, something didn't feel right, again.

He snapped his head with more force than it was needed, making his hair whip him on the face, but the moment that Severus' eyes locked with the glass dish, the knife was dropped from his hand.