19. The Conversation

Sirius Black

Sunday, 19th December 1971.

The 12th Grimmauld Place

Sirius Black was back at the 12th Grimmauld Place. When they got back Kreacher took his bags and Walburga ordered him to stay inside the bedroom until dinner. He didn't even see Regulus.

His mind was spinning. Sure, they didn't yell at him straight at the door, but Sirius was ninety-nine present sure that part will come at dinner. Not bothering to unpack, the boy laid down on the bed. It hasn't even been an hour at this place and he already missed Hogwarts so much.

It was like Sirius finally got a breath of fresh air just for it to be knocked out of his lungs once more. From the moment he stepped into the house again, all the things that slightly irritated him before were now barely tolerable. The creaking floors, the portraits, the gloomy atmosphere, the dark colors... He missed the bright red Gryffindor common room.

Playing with his ring, Sirius wondered where Regulus was. His parents did forbid the boy to write to Sirius, but they wouldn't separate the two while he was back at the house, right? Even if they tried, he will find a way to talk to his little brother.

The door flew open because in this house apparently nobody knew how to knock, "Young Master Black is requested downstairs.", the house elf bowed to him and then disapparated with a familiar crack. Sirius sighed just at the thought of walking down there.

He pulled himself together, mentally and physically, straightening his shirt and pants. The cracking floors really were barely tolerable. It was like this house hated him as much as Sirius hated it. He got too comfortable in the little, imaginary world of Hogwarts where everything was happy and bright. This was his sad reminder of reality.

At the dining table, dressed accordingly, were Orion, Walburga and Regulus. The second Sirius saw his brother, his soul gave a little happy squeak, but Regulus still didn't lift his gaze from the table to look back at him. This brought a great deal of concern. Was Reg really mad at him for leaving and not writing?

Orion nodded, greeting him, "Sirius. Nice to see you back with us."

Sirius returned the polite nod, "Father. Grateful to be back.", the words that left his mouth made him sick.

The dinner, to Sirius' surprise, went normally, although what was normal for the Blacks probably wasn't normal for everyone. He and Regulus kept silent with their backs as straight as possible while Walburga and Orion discussed the current happenings at the Wizarding World, ignoring the two.

When dinner came close to an end, Sirius couldn't believe his luck. They really didn't ask him anything. But his happiness was short lived when Orion finally turned to him, "Sirius."

He froze for a moment, not expecting for his father to address him, "Yes, father?", he looked back at the man, trying to keep an unreadable expression.

"How has your first semester been?"

Sirius was now really confused. Why would they ask him about anything else other than the sorting? Nonetheless, he kept the confusion under control, "It's been fine."

Orion nodded, but then he put the cutlery down, "What are your thoughts on your sorting?", his hands intertwined together in front of his chin.

There it was. Now was the moment where Sirius should be smart, he has to come up with a tolerable answer that wouldn't sent both of his parents into a spiral.

"It wasn't my choice, the Sorting Hat determined the house.", he hoped that was a good enough statement.

Unsurprisingly, Orion wasn't satisfied, "I didn't ask how the sorting works. I asked what do you think of the Sorting Hat's choice when it came to your particular sorting.", he explained sternly.