15. Revelio

Sirius Black

Wednesday, 3rd November 1971.

Hogwarts

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRINCESS!"

"Ugh... let the princess sleep..."

Sirius was rudely woken up by two bodies stacked on top of his. He saw that there was no point in fighting his attackers so he just gave up. There was a slight emptiness due to the fact that Remus was still at the hospital, but Sirius knew they will see him for breakfast.

The boys dragged him out of bed and to the Great Hall. The whole way there, the trio treated Sirius like some kind of a royalty, in a mocking way of course, but Sirius still loved it. When they entered the Hall, it was already filled and James started singing happy birthday so loudly and enthusiastically that the other students joined in as well. Even older students started to sing due to their silly royalty performance. If the four boys were anything, they were entertaining. He even saw Narcissa clap and sing while Lucius looked appalled next to her.

Sirius loved the attention, usually he would get a cold congratulations from Orion and Walburga. Only Reg would be excited on this day, but even he had to pretend to be nonchalant in front of their parents. Then Sirius would do nothing all day and in the evening the Blacks would host a family dinner which he hated. He never got to do anything fun so he was very much looking forward to seeing what his friends had prepared.

"Hey Sirius! Look! There's mail for you!", Peter yelled.

And to Sirius' surprise, there actually was. An owl dropped a box with an envelope right in front of him. Cold spread through his body, maybe it was from his parents? Or from Reg? He hasn't heard from any of them in months, the only information he had was what Narcissa told him all the way back in September. Without being able to bear the pressure anymore, Sirius ripped open the envelope.

Dear Gryffindor cousin,

I wish you the happiest 12th birthday a boy could have!

You'll see, they are quite different at Hogwarts than at home. I hope that your amazing friends, as you called them, have something amazing prepared. It isn't every day that a boy turns 12 so I have sent you 12 Zonko's products to celebrate with! Please don't get into too much trouble, I know you too well.

I have been doing great! Ted and I moved in together into a small flat in London, I hope you'll get the chance to visit sometime soon, but given that I know our family, it won't happen before you turn 18 and I have a lot more products to send until then.

The whole move is the reason why I wasn't able to respond to your beautiful letter until now, we didn't even have an owl. I hope you can forgive me for keeping you on your toes for quite some time. Don't worry, from now on, my responses will be quick!

How has school been going? What are your favorite classes? Will you try to get on the Quidditch team next year? I hope so, I know you're good!

I know that you have expressed some concerns about being sorted into Gryffindor, but don't worry, the Sorting Hat always knows best. Be proud that it thought of you as brave and loyal, but I can also see where it saw stubbornness and recklessness. When it comes to Orion and Walburga, just keep your head down, the shock will pass quickly.

Anyway, I hope that you will spend today happy with the biggest smile your face can hold. Please tell me all about how did you celebrate in your next letter. Have you talked to Cissy recently? How is she doing?