22. A Handkerchief Present

Sirius Black

Saturday, 25th December 1971.

12th Grimmauld Place

Now looking back at it, opening a tempest in the bottle in the middle of a waltz was probably a bad idea.

Orion had a different tactic from Walburga when it came to punishments. Instead of making Sirius suffer by cutting all the way across his arms and back, Orion opted for legs. That way each time Sirius took a step, he would be remembered of what he did.

He really wanted to be good and obey the wishes of his parents during the Christmas banquet, not fully, but mostly. All he planned on was maybe setting off a couple of dungbombs he found buried in the back of the closet. He didn't even bring the tempest in the bottle with him to the ballroom.

The plan was created when Sirius started to talk with the families that came to the banquet. With each exchanged sentence with them, the desire for chaos grew inside of him. The desire to just do something in protest of their statements and views.

He remembered knowing even back at Hogwarts that he wouldn't be able to keep his mouth shut when it came to the topic of blood purity. After meeting so many talented and nice people in the Gryffindor house or in general at his classes, Sirius knew that his trip back to 12th Grimmauld Place was doomed from the start.

Lo and behold, the banquet was just an excuse to ill talk the muggleborns and halfbloods. It was all about how they, as purebloods, were so much better than filthy wanna be witches and wizards.

It made Sirius want to rip his hair out from the stupidity of ignorant people who only looked at the world through power and status. Each time someone would approach him, Sirius wanted to scream in their face how he didn't agree with those horrific things they were saying. If it was up to purebloods, muggleborns and halfbloods would have been extinct.

It was even more frustrating that he couldn't actually say anything because it would be a scandal if the Black family's heir were to contradict any claims that muggleborns should be dealt with accordingly. Whenever he would start to open his mouth to protest against some idiotic statement, Sirius would get a threatening glare from Orion. It was like his father could read his mind which frustrated him even more.

In all that frustration, an idea came to Sirius' mind of how to express his disagreement without actually saying anything. Curse James Potter for making him pack and causing him to open the drawer of his bedside table.

As Sirius went to his bedroom under the excuse of having to use the restroom, his mind played Orion's words on repeat. He only said that Sirius had to agree and not argue with the guest. He didn't mention anything about releasing a tempest in the bottle that was hidden underneath his son's bed. Grated, that was a little bit specific, but it gave Sirius enough encouragement to continue on with his new plan.

He really should work on his impulsivity. Maybe that will be one of his New Year's resolutions along with managing to resist the afflictio curse. The latter would have really come in handy that Christmas night.

Sirius got pulled out from his thoughts by unexpected noise. There was a clear sound of someone or something pecking on his bedroom window. Since he was lying in bed facing away from the sound, if he wanted to see what was actually happening Sirius would need to turn around. Just thinking about moving made him want to crawl out of his skin, but the curiosity won like always.

When he gathered enough courage, Sirius turned to look at the window. A burning pain immediately started in his legs making him shut his eyes. It was like little scalpel that was previously heated over the fire was gliding up and down his thighs, calves and ankles, making straight lines all over his legs. Orion really had a sturdier hand than Walburga.