44. Ornaments

Sirius Black

Sunday, 17th December 1972.

Potter Manor

It was going to be the perfect winter break, Sirius was sure of it. Him and Peter came to the Potter Manor only one day after the Marauders separated at the King's Cross Station. They travelled via flu network to the Potter Manor and, once they were out of the fireplace, Euphemia gave both of them a warm hug.

Sirius was amazed by the decorations. It was nothing like what he was used to. Everywhere were Christmas ornaments, glitter and twinkly lights. There was one huge Christmas tree in the living room, but, to his surprise, it wasn't decorated.

He didn't have that much time to admire everything since Steo came rushing out of the kitchen and, at the same time, loud bangs were heard from the hallway. Before Steo could even say hello to the two of them, James appeared in the living room doorway. He looked quite disheveled, his hair all over the place and his shirt backwards, but Sirius didn't really have the chance to observe the boy further since James enveloped him into a bone crushing hug.

Sirius knew that this time will eventually come and he thought that he will be prepared for it, but nothing could prepare you for being knock down to the floor by the famous James Potter hug. Remus and Peter already experience this part of being James' friend, but this was the first time Sirius was tackled to the ground. Truthfully, he didn't really mind, he joined James in dramatic sobbing while the two were sprawled on the floor.

Peter gave them a disappointed look, but Euphemia seemed to be quite amused. When they finally stood up and after James greeted Peter, Steo had the opportunity to say hi to two boys as well. Then Euphemia turned to the elf, "Steo, could you please take Sirius' and Peter's stuff to their rooms?"

Needless to say, the elf happily nodded and snaped his fingers. Two trunks flew in the air and Steo easily levitated them out of the living room and up the stairs.

Sirius, Peter and James were right behind him. Sirius couldn't wait to unpack everything so that this delightful winter break could officially start. While on the stairs, Sirius turned to James, "What's up with that shirt?", he raised an eyebrow while looking at James' backwards shirt.

The boy pushed his glasses up his nose, "Oh, just practicing some spell I saw in one of the library books. It's supposed to turn everything you are wearing inside out, but I only managed to rotate my shirt."

Sirius and Peter nodded in approval. New idea also came to Sirius in that moment. He didn't really find anything useful about werewolves in the Black family's library, but now he had a whole new library at his disposal. He took a mental note to try to do some research during his stay at the Potter Manor.

Sirius got the same room he stayed at during summer. It was next to James' while Peter's was across from James'.

When he entered it, he was amazed once again. Sirius literally had his own small Christmas tree in the corner near the window seat. It was a fake, white tree with red and gold ornaments. Christmas lights were also all over his room, casting a faint golden tone to the space.

"Have you told Remus about me and Pete staying here?", Sirius asked James while unpacking. The boy looked at him from the bed, "Yeah, but he said he can't come yet. The Lupins are going to visit grandma Lupin again.", Sirius gave James a disappointed look, so James continued, "But... he did say that he will join us on the 22nd. He didn't want to miss Pete's birthday at midnight."

Of course. Sirius totally forgot that the full moon was on the 20th December, so it just made sense for Remus to wait for it to pass at home. If he came to the Potter Manor now, he would need a very good excuse to leave and even a better one to return two days later.