39. Red for Gryffindor

James Potter

Friday, 6th October 1972.

Hogwarts

James and Peter won the bet against Remus and Sirius since they finished their research before the two got back from Hogsmeade. Remus did complain a fair bit how the competition was rigged since James and Peter had the invisibility cloak and the possibility to finish whenever they wanted, but James managed to stop his complaining seeing as the rules were already set when Sirius excepted the bet.

After that, Remus didn't mention the competition anymore, but James did see him giving Sirius a nasty glare which Sirius returned as they handed over ten chocolate frogs to him and Peter.

"How are you planning for us to get in? There are no students around at three in the freaking morning except us.", Remus whispered to James and Peter, but James was the first one to respond, "Do you think we won that bet for nothing? We were researching how to actually get in and everything else."

At the mention of the time, Peter gave him and Sirius a nervous glace, "Won't you two be tired tomorrow? We need you on your best game for Gryffindor to win."

"It'll be fine, Pete. Don't worry. We didn't skip Herbology and History of Magic for nothing. We took a long nap.", Sirius smirked at James while the two bumped their fists.

Before they knew it, the Marauders were in front of a big, stone wall. James didn't take the cloak off of them just in case they ran into someone once inside. They all got near the wall, then James leaned in and whispered, "twenty-eight"

Like on command, the wall started to slide to the side, revealing a dark and gloomy passage. James gave Remus an arrogant smirk which earned him an eye roll from the boy before the four of them went inside.

The Slytherin common room looked quite depressing to James. It was dark and very poorly lit. The lack of windows didn't help the matter either. Everything looked expensive, but in his eyes, it wasn't a nice expensive like he was used to. It was my rich grandad died and left me some couches type of expensive. Needless to say, James hated it and from the look on his friends' faces, they didn't have any better thoughts about the Slytherin common room either.

"Okay, what now?", Sirius asked excitedly once they took the cloak off since there was nobody around.

"Now the fun begins.", James withdrew four Imperishable Infuriated Red Color tubes from his pockets and handed each Marauder one of them, "The boys' dormitories are there.", he pointed to a spiral staircase, "We'll go in twos. Since Pete and I already know where everything is, Remus will go with Pete and I with you.", he said to Sirius. Then he gave Remus one tube of Magical Remover while keeping one to himself.

They all grinned at each other and the mission could finally start.

Sirius insisted on him and James starting from first years and Remus and Pete from seventh years. This way, they could meet in the middle and leave the Slytherin's nest.

James tried opening the door and, once he realized that they were locked, he withdrew his wand and whispered, "Alohomora", the door immediately creaked open and he gave Sirius a smug smirk, "Armatures."

The two of them got inside and carefully closed the door behind. The room was silent, only his steps could be heard and James regrated not listening to Sirius and taking his shoes off. Like the boy read his mind, he gave James an I told you so look to which James just silently huffed before retreating to the bathroom. Once the two were inside, he neared the shower.

James got in and carefully started unscrewing the circular showerhead while Sirius stood near the door and listened for any unwanted movement. The head came off easily with a slight squeak, but from Sirius' expression, there was no stirring from the room.