47. Friendships

Marlene McKinnon

Saturday, 6th January 1973.

King's Cross Station

Marlene sighed. She hated waiting, but when you come to the King's Cross Station half an hour early, you don't really have the right to complain.

Although, this time, not the whole McKinnon family came with her. Marlene insisted that Maisie, her younger sister, stay home since the two of them had a small fight. So, she was left with only her father as company.

Maisie went to the Potter's Christmas party with both of their parents, but Marlene was set on not going for her own reasons. Unfortunately, Maisie knew those reasons and told them to the only two people Marlene didn't want to know.

James Potter and Peter Pettigrew.

This resulted in a fight between two sisters. Marlene even specifically told Maisie to keep quiet about certain things before she left, but the younger girl just had to tell James and Peter everything. When Marlene asked her why, Maisie just said that she wanted the three of them to make up. But that was not what Marlene wanted.

Honestly, she didn't really know what she wanted, but it certainly wasn't for her younger sister to go and spill all her feelings of hurt to the two people who caused it.

Marlene didn't want pity. If James and Peter could ignore her for year and a half, then she didn't care if they suddenly changed their minds once they were informed that she was hurt. No. As far as she was concerned, James and Peter can just continue on acting the same way they did since the three of them started Hogwarts. Like they didn't even know who Marlene was.

She didn't care. She didn't care one bit.

"Marlene!", a familiar voice yelled from the sea of people and, when Marlene looked up, she saw Lily Evans waving excitedly at her. Immediately, her whole mood changed as she waved back. Marlene was now smiling.

Lily and her parents managed to push their way around the crowd and join the McKinnons. As soon as it was possible, Marlene and Lily hugged each other. Then, they immersed into conversation about their Christmas holidays while Mr. and Mrs. Evans started some boring adult conversation with Mr. McKinnon.

"... and then Petunia thanked me for her gift! I think the things between us are finally improving!", Lily said excitedly. Marlene was glad to hear about the progress Lily made with her sister, but this automatically resulted in Lily asking about Maisie, "How is the younger McKinnon? Did she like your present?", she asked slyly while bumping her shoulder with Marlene's.

"I'll tell you later.", Marlene said while gesturing with her eyes to her father. Thankfully, Lily was a smart one and understood her immediately. But before they could change the topic, another family joined them. The Greenfords.

"Hi you two.", Helen sneaked up on them. Marlene jolted away, but as soon as she saw her friend, she enveloped Helen into a hug. Lily did the same and, just as the two were separating, there was an announcement about the train's departure.

Three girls bid goodbye to their parents and stepped onto the train, marking the official start of their second semester of the second year. Like always, all compartments were full and Marlene rolled her eyes as the trio passed a very loud compartment occupied with four familiar boys. Just like in the last year and a half, nobody from there noticed her.

The girls were lucky that day since they found not one, but two empty compartments next to each other. Granted, they only needed one, but it was still cool.

Lily and Helen followed Marlene inside and they finally got comfortable for the long journey to Hogwarts. Marlene was obviously next to the window with her two friends opposite of her. The pure sight of them made her happy. But the happiness she felt for being reunited with them somehow only increased her sadness.