31. Unexpected Gift

Remus Lupin

Thursday, 8th June 1972.

Hogwarts

It was official. Remus will change the name of June to Exam month. He expected it to be hectic, but not this hectic. Unfortunately, they did have seven different subject to pass and he wanted to get close to a hundred in every single one of them. Okay, maybe not in Potions.

Thankfully, the full moon passed more than a week ago so there was nothing that could distract Remus in his plan. Well, almost nothing.

"Rise and shine!"

Just like on the 1st of September, and every other morning during school year, James was the first one to get out of bed and wake everybody else up. Remus particularly hated this part of the day because why would James Potter wake any of them normally.

He knew the different steps of James' torture pretty well, which gave him a small advantage. There was a sound of Peter's curtains being ripped open and Remus quickly reached for his wand. He could hear the enemy getting closer.

"Come on, Remus, today is the day of our last two exams!", the joy in the boy's voice this early never seemed to fail to give Remus goosebumps.

"Occludio"

He quickly threw the duvet over his head as soon as he casted the spell in fear of it not working properly. This was his first time trying it out. The evil steps came closer and closer to his bed...

"Wake up, Remus! The breakfast will get cold!"

There was a tug to his curtains, but they didn't open. Satisfied, Remus emerged under the duvet and relaxed while James continued to pull on the red fabric and yell, "Did you spell your curtains shut?!", but he decided to just ignore the yelling boy and enjoy another five minutes of sleep.

It even seemed like his plan really worked since the tugging on the curtains finally stopped, but oh, how wrong Remus was. Not even two seconds later, he heard Sirius' protests as James woke him up instead, "Why did I have to get up and Remus gets to sleep in!"

Oh no... There was a huffing sound from James before he gave Sirius the answer, "Because that idiot spelled his curtains shut."

One dramatic sigh later, there was someone getting near his bed again, "YOU LITTLE TRAITOR!", Sirius yelled while trying to rip the curtains open, "WHY DIDN'T YOU SHOW ME THE SPELL?!"

Guess I'm not getting that five-minute sleep after all, Remus thought miserably. He propped himself on the headboard and stayed quiet so that he could compose himself. But there wasn't any composing being done since Sirius continued to tug and yell like some wounded animal just outside the curtains.

Remus gave up on morning piece and got ahold of his wand again, "Aperio", he whispered because he didn't want all of them to know the counter spell.

Sirius didn't expect him to unseal the curtains so he pulled at them with all of his strength and since Remus casted the counter spell, the curly haired boy flew to the left, ripping the curtains off of the bed canopy and landed on the floor with them still in hand.

Remus, James and Peter bursted out into laughter at the sight of disheveled Sirius. They were so used to the boy looking perfect with every hair in place that this picture in front of them was priceless.

While still laughing, Peter reached for his camera and snapped two polaroids before Sirius managed to get up and undishevel himself.

As the laughter died down, the polaroids were done developing resulting in another cackle from the three of them. Sirius tried to argue that it wasn't that funny, but Remus saw tears spilling out of James' eyes that would disagree.