41. Disobedience and Consequences

Sirius Black

Wednesday, 1st November 1972.

Hogwarts

The word about their duel against three older Slytherins spread like Fiendfyre and, if they were being honest, Sirius and James were quite satisfied with the results. All students seemed to give them way more respect. Granted, they were already looking at the Marauders with some type of admiration because of their creativity and boldness, but now it reached a new level. It was like they went from silly troublemakers to seriously respected dualists.

Anthony did do a pretty good job at making those three Slytherins beg for their wands. He left the wands to levitate above the middle of the Black Lake. He also put a protective charm on them so that he was the only one who could get them back to the shore. Needless to say, Selwyn was furious, but he did apologize to Anthony for threatening him. The Gryffindor prefect even made Selwyn confess in front of everyone how two second years defeated three seventh year Slytherins. That was how everyone actually found out about what had happened.

Sirius did have to endure a very strict conversation with Narcissa. He didn't get why she was so irritated with his actions. After all, he dueled with some unimportant Slytherins, it wasn't like they were murderers or something like that. Regulus seemed to be on Narcissa's side as well which irritated Sirius even more. Why was everybody making such a big deal out of this? He wasn't even the one who started the fight! The conversation ended with him walking away from the bench in Clocktower Courtyard, leaving agitated Narcissa and Regulus behind.

Another good thing that came from all this drama was the way in which Slytherins now acted around Sirius. From the moment he was sorted into Gryffindor, every single student in green robes used to give him disgusted up and down looks whenever he passed them.

Now it was a whole different story. Most of them didn't even dare to look at him while those who did only glanced in his direction. There wasn't one nasty glare thrown his way. I guess Selwyn must be considered a good duelist, Sirius thought to himself because there was no other explanation as to why students older than him didn't dare to stare at him anymore.

Lastly, it seemed as though Snape really took James' threat seriously since he couldn't be seen without his entourage of lost puppies anywhere. They even followed him to the library which was pretty weird seeing as Sirius was ninety-nine percent sure none of them knew how to read. Nevertheless, Sirius and James could be patient when needed.

All in all, the duel brought him mostly good things with couple exceptions like mentioned conversation with Narcissa and Regulus. Remus and Peter were really amazed with their quick thinking once Sirius and James told them everything while they were brewing the Ageing potion.

Oh, right. When it came to Ageing potion, they did manage to spike Dumbledore's drink, but the mission failed in the end. During dinner the Marauders watched as the headmaster lifted the spiked cup to his lips, but then he took one sniff of the drink and placed it back on the table. They were quite disappointed by this since they put a lot of effort into brewing the mentioned potion.

Just when they were about to leave the Great Hall, Remus saw Dumbledore offering Slughorn the spiked drink. The Marauders sat on the edge of their seats, waiting for their Potions professor to take a sip. Funnily enough, probably because it was Dumbledore who offered it, Slughorn took a sip without even looking at the drink. The next moment he transformed into an old, greying man with wrinkled skin. He looked at Dumbledore in disbelief and betrayal, but the headmaster turned everything into a good laugh.

While Slughorn stood up to go back to his office and brew the antidote, Dumbledore's twinkling gaze turned towards the Marauders and he gave them a slight smile before returning his gaze to professor McGonagall.