45. Paperwork

James Potter

Friday, 22nd December 1972.

Potter Manor

Peter's birthday could not have gone any better. James and William were writing letters back and forth for a couple of days before the big surprise to make sure that every detail was taken care of. The two arranged everything and everyone knew except from Peter.

Once the Marauders finished decorating the tree, they and James' parents sat in the living room and waited for the clock to struck midnight. They all talked, played Wizarding Chess, ate shortbread cookies...

Time passed quickly and it was soon only five minutes before midnight. Like agreed, Euphemia went into the kitchen and set up the candles for Peter's birthday cake. The Marauders gathered around the grand clock and just waited.

It was now only ten seconds before the clock will strike midnight, so the boys started their count down, "Three! Two! One! Happy Birthday Pete!", they all yelled and enveloped Peter into a tight hug straight away. The grand clock started producing eagle sounds while a small hippogriff was coming in and out of it.

Then, the fireplace got filled with green flames and William walked out of it. He went straight to his brother and lifted him off the ground with a warm hug. In the meantime, James quickly reached for Pete's polaroid camera which he hid behind the armchair that evening before dinner. He could swear that he never saw Peter this happy, but then Euphemia emerged from the kitchen.

She was carrying a cake while thirteen candles were illuminating her face, "Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you...", she started singing and everyone joined in. Peter's face was a mixture of shock, gratefulness and happiness. Euphemia placed the cake on the coffee table and everyone gathered around. James managed to snap a photo of the birthday boy looking at his cake.

"Happy Birthday dear Peter. Happy birthday to you.", they finished the birthday song and the living room erupted in cheers.

William placed a hand on Peter's shoulder, "Come on, make a wish.", he urged his younger brother. Everyone was silent while Peter had his eyes closed. Once he was ready, Peter opened his eyes and blew the candles. Of course, James managed to capture this moment as well. Everyone cheered again and James whispered to his dad, "Now"

Fleamont withdrew his wand and, immediately, small fireworks filled the living room. Everything was colorful and even better than James expected. They all watched in awe until the last sparkle died down. Peter thanked all of them numerous of times.

Soon after, Fleamont and Euphemia retreated to their room, it was really late after all and James' parents weren't so young anymore.

The Marauders and William gave Peter his presents. Peter got more film for his polaroid camera from William, Destructive Dominos from Sirius, a self-cleaning cup from Remus for his paintbrushes and, finally, a book titled Magic behind Landscapes from James.

James was over the moon because of their successful surprise. They all stayed and talked for a bit longer, but then William had to go back to the Pettigrew Estate and back to his friends. He said goodbye to Marauders and promised that they will hang out again at Potter's Christmas Party.

The next day was spent with James, Sirius and Remus listening and agreeing to do anything Peter wanted. James asked his dad to perform the rose petal spell on Peter to which Fleamont happily obliged to. Steo prepared Peter's favorite food and the boys spent the whole day outside per Peter's wishes. They played in the snow, had a snowball fight, built an igloo... Although, Fleamont did need to help them with the last one.

The whole day passed in an instant. James couldn't believe that it was already time for bed and that tomorrow is their annual Christmas Party. He couldn't wait to spend it with his friends. All he could think about before he fell asleep was how, this year, there won't be any sad hues mixing with their Christmas spirit since, this time, the Marauders were complete. This time, Sirius was with them.