26. Rose Petals

Sirius Black

Wednesday, 1st March 1972.

Hogwarts

"Tap-tap-tap"

It was for sure a part of his dream. It must have been. Maybe his brain wanted to produce a sound of wind blowing on a sunny day and just got a bit confused.

"Tap-tap-tap"

Maybe Sirius just needed to concentrate a bit more on the slight whistle, after all it would go perfectly with the picture currently occupying his mind. He, James, Remus and Peter underneath their tree, illuminated with warm, summer sunrays...

"Tap-tap-tap"

Like in some horror movie, Sirius' eye flew open. Maybe he started imagining things. He was tucked in between pillows and duvet, one arm underneath his head pillow while his legs were curled up to his chest. It was so warm and perfect and sleepy...

"Tap-tap-tap"

Okay. He was definitely not imagining thigs. There was a strong debate going on in his mind about his next move. Should he get up and see what the sound was or should he stay put in bed while somebody else checks on it? The curiosity for sure wanted the first option, but his bed was so warm and cozy...

"Tap-tap-tap"

First option it is. Sirius propped himself on the elbows and just stared at bright red curtains for a moment, thoughtless. Whenever he gets up, he always needs a bit of time to collect himself. He pulled the curtains open and hauled his right leg from the bed while tucking the left one underneath himself.

His sight was still a bit blurry from sleeping and morning brightness for sure wasn't helping the case. Squinting, he managed to recognize an owl shape on their dorm window seal. He couldn't quite decipher it still due to the blurriness, but a few blinks after, Sirius finally recognized a small, white owl. Nix.

As soon as he realized that, Sirius hurried towards the window to let the owl inside. Just like he expected, Nix was carrying a package, but then he quickly stopped in his tracks, hand still stretched out towards the window handle.

Nix looked at him confused, but Sirius just turned to face the dorm. Guess the luck was on his side today. James and Peter were still sleeping, he could hear them snoring lightly, and Remus' bed was empty. Maybe there were some advantages of having a constantly sick friend after all.

Sirius put an index finger across his mouth, indicating to Nix to be quiet and knowing the owl was smart, he was sure it will listen. An outstretched hand finally got ahold of the window handle and opened it, allowing the small animal to finally come inside.

Like the little genius Nix was, he immediately flew to Sirius' bed, tucking himself in between pillows just like on Christmas. He untied the package from the owl's leg and quickly unwrapped the brown paper it came in.

When his eyes fell on the two things inside, his body gave an exited jolt. Nix gave him another confused look, but still continued to observe him, like he was waiting for something.

Sirius quickly closed the package and hid it underneath his bed, hoping that no one would go snooping around. Like on command, Nix flapped his wings and flew towards James' bed, slipping through the small opening in his curtains.

What a smart little baby—, Sirius stopped himself mid-thought. Did he just call Nix a little baby? James really must be rubbing on him. Anyway, Sirius was impressed with how smart the owl actually was. Like it knew that the package contained something nobody else besides Sirius should see and waited for him to put it away before waking up anybody.