Chapter 16

Chanyeol's P.O.V.

"Key?" I heard Jess say. I looked at her and saw the color leave her face, as if she had seen a ghost. Why was she like that?

"Who is that?" I asked out loud, wanting to know why he made her react like that.

"Her ex-boyfriend," Namjoon replied smugly.

"How could you?" Jessica said, barely audible. She looked heartbroken.

"I guess it was just time for you to show how powerful you really are," that asshole said. He continued to talk, but I couldn't hear a word he was saying. My anger was taking over, and I could feel my blood starting to boil.

"Wait, you're the guy that cheated on her?" I asked him. Jess had told me a little bit about him before. Not much, just the basics. They dated, he cheated, they broke up, I'm the first guy since then. Most of what I had heard about him was from eavesdropping on her friends' conversations about how big of a jackass he is.

"Yeah, I am. She wasn't worth my time."

That was all I could take from this guy. I jumped at him, ready to rip his throat out, before Suho could come between us. "You son of a bitch! First you cheat on her, then you sell her out to a group of vampires that want to hurt her?! What kind of a person are you?"

"Like I said, she's the last thing I'm worried about." I was ready to rip myself from Suho to go attack this buy, but then I saw wolves run in from the back. One of them walked straight to Jessica and looked extremely protective of her. I didn't know for sure who it was, but he seemed familiar to me. It seemed as though he was saying something to Jess, and I knew that he was when Jess responded to him out loud.

"It was Key. He's the one who told them about me," she said with tears in he eyes, "And Chanyeol is one of them. He and his friends came to our school to find me." It broke my heart to hear her say this. I couldn't stand the thought that she believed I wanted to hurt her. That's the last thing that I would ever do. I want to protect her; I want to love her; I want to spend all of my time with her; I could never intentionally hurt her.

I saw an angry look in his eyes after she said this, like he was ready to kill. Then, she put her hand on his cheek to turn his face towards hers. She held it there as she looked into his eyes. I could feel my jealousy rising with each passing second. My heart started to race with envy.

"Just wait. We need to see where this goes," Jessica said, obviously responding to something he said through his mind. He then nodded and licked her cheek. That set me off. I know that licking someone is a way to show affection for a werewolf, and I instantly knew who the wolf was: Youngjae.

It sent my head into a frenzy. I hated Youngjae. I hated how close he is with Jess. I hated how much she valued him as a person. I hated the massive place he held in her heart. Knowing that it was him and seeing him lick her sent me over the edge. 

I began running toward him, about to kick his ass. "Stay away from her!" I yelled in my state of jealousy. I could see him move into a more defensive position, standing in front of Jess, blocking her from harm's way. Suddenly, I was thrown through the air, flying into a tree. I looked up to see a rush of wind surrounding Jess, who was standing with her hand in the air. I knew that she was the one who sent me flying.

"Well, well, we finally get to see some of her powers," I heard Namjoon say from across the opening.

"What do you want?!" Jess said through clenched teeth, still with tears in her eyes.

"It's simple. I want you dead." I then saw Namjoon run towards Jess. My eyes widened and I jumped up as quickly as I possibly could. Everything was in slow motion as I ran to her, afraid that I wouldn't get there quick enough. I saw her put her hands up, ready to protect herself from Namjoon. Out of the corner of my eye I could see him coming closer. Luckily, I was closer to her from where I was thrown into a tree than he was from the opposite side of the clearing. I quickly swept her up, all while keeping my motion going forward.

*Keep them away* I told the rest of the guys. I knew that they would help me protect Jessica.

I felt Jess wrap her arms around my neck to help steady herself in my arms. I couldn't help but let a small smile pass my lips. It felt nice. It felt like it normally did. I needed that feeling of closeness to her.

I set her down gently after getting far enough away from the groups.

"Jessica, please listen to me," I begged, "I promise you, I never had any intentions of hurting you. I didn't think you were the witch, and I told the guys that if you were then we would leave you alone and never tell Namjoon. I love you, Jess. I need you. Please believe me. I would never do anything to hurt you."

I could tell she was thinking, and I was getting nervous with each passing second. I needed to hear her speak. I needed to know she would forgive me. I needed to know we could put this into the past and move on with our lives: together.

Before she could respond, though, Youngjae jumped through the bushes and attacked me. This was not the time to be bothering me. He was already on my bad side, and this may be my only chance to speak with Jess: my only chance to win her back. He was clawing me and biting me before I threw him to the side. I raced to him so I could beat up down. Suddenly, Jess threw me back once again. I got up and went back to attack Youngjae, but some sort of force as keeping me from getting to him. Youngjae tried getting up to attack me, only to be stopped by the same force.

Once again, I could see that the two were having a conversation. I stood there, waiting. Waiting for my opportunity to finish what I started with Youngjae. All I needed was for Jess to drop her hands. But, I could see the color draining from her face again. Her beautiful, tanned skin was turning a pale white, much like my own. I couldn't take it. Her health was more important than my need to rip Youngjae apart.

"Jessica, are you okay? You don't look good. Please, just stop and I promise I won't hurt him. As long as you are safe and healthy, I'm willing to give up. As much anger as I have towards him, and as much as I want to punch his face in, you are more important to me. You're more important than  anything to me," I said, trying to get her to drop the force field to save her own energy, but she wouldn't drop it. What hurt most surprisingly wasn't that she didn't trust my words, but the fact that she couldn't even meet my eyes.

Just then, Baekhyun ran out, followed by the rest of the guys. They were all covered in blood, cuts, and bruises. I could tell they were doing what they could to protect not only our pack, but also Jess. We stood there, waiting for Jess to give up, but she wouldn't do it.

"Jessica, quit being dumb!" I yelled, desperate to get her to stop. "I hate yelling at you, but you need to stop! You're being reckless to yourself! I already told you we wouldn't attack! Why can't you believe me?!"

I was then taken to the ground by another wolf, presumably one of Youngjae's friends. More wolves came out of the bushes to attack the guys as well. I fought back, but still managed to see Jess drop her arms out of the corner of my eye. I saw Youngjae run out at me, but I merely threw him to the side when I saw Jessica fall to the ground and faint.

I tried getting to her, but I kept being jumped on by wolves. I knew that they wouldn't let me get to her unless I got rid of them first.

*We need to take them out. Jess needs my help, but I can't get to her.* I said to the guys. Suddenly, wolves were being thrown left and right. I knew that they were giving everything they could for Jess and I, and I knew that it was just as much for Jessica as it was for me.