Chapter 23

Chanyeol's P.O.V.

"Chanyeol?"

I froze, not knowing what to do. I've waited so long to find her, and now here I am, next to her, not being able to speak. Typical.

"Chanyeol, is that you?" she said again.

"J-Jessica," I replied, finally snapping out of it. "I've missed you so much." My eyes began to fill with tears.

"I can't believe you're here. Youngjae has been keeping a close eye on me this whole time trying to make sure you wouldn't find me. I guess he isn't as good at his job as he thinks he is," she joked, laughing a little. It was so good to hear her laugh. But something doesn't seem right. For someone who has gone out of their way to avoid me, she's acting really friendly.

"Jess, why have you been avoiding me? Why haven't you let me see you? I've been going crazy without you."

"Because we can't be together."

"Because we can't be together or you don't want to be together?"

"Both," she said with such a straight face. My heart broke. Even after all this time away from me, even after all of the space that she's gotten, she still doesn't want to be with me.

"Why, Jess? Why can't we go back to normal?" I asked, tears started to force their way out.

"Could we ever really go back to normal, Chanyeol?"

"Yes! We can, Jess. We can run away together, just me and you. We won't tell anyone where we are. I'll protect you, from everyone. I'll keep you safe. We'll go away from everything that's been keeping us apart. We can be together. We can be happy."

"No, we can't. Do I still love you, Chanyeol? Yes, of course I do. Is that enough for us to be together? Is that enough for me to be happy? No, it's not. We could never go back to the way things were because I could never look at you the same. I could never fully trust you again. I'm sorry, Chanyeol, but Youngjae has been right all along; you and I just aren't meant for each other."

"How can you say that? How can you give up everything we have? You mean everything to me, Jessica."

"But I just can't bring myself to be with someone who searched for me to kill me."

"I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS YOU, JESS! WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?!" She flinched away as I yelled at her. I couldn't help but yell. I was so hurt by her words. Had I known it was Jessica I was looking for, I would have given up and protected her.

"Chanyeol, I'm sorry, but things aren't going to change."

I just sat, staring at the floor, sobbing. Before I could reply to her I heard the door swing open.

"Chanyeol, we've got to go. There are people in the area," Sehun said in a rush.

"I can't leave," I said, still sobbing.

"I'm sorry, Chanyeol, but we have to go." 

He grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the room. We ran out of the house as fast as we could. When we got far enough away we stopped for a minute.

"Chanyeol, are you alright? We heard everything," Suho said, putting his hand on my shoulder for support.

"I feel like my heart just got ripped out of my chest."

"I'm so sorry, Chanyeol."

"I can't give up. I can't lose her."

Youngjae's P.O.V.

I can't believe Yuri called us over for this waste of time. It was just a pack meeting! I left Jessica alone for this?!

We were headed back to my house as fast as we could. I wanted to get back to Jess quickly. I was already a nervous wreck the entire time we were gone; I can't believe I left her by herself. When we pulled up to the house, we saw a group of young kids playing around outside. They were city kids who would come out to the woods to play around in the woods, trying to scare each other. They come around often, usually hanging out around here for several hours at a time.

When we came to a stop I got out and ran up to my room as quickly as I could to check on Jess. She was still sleeping.

"Thank god," I said out loud.

"Hey, Youngjae, is the alright?!" Jackson yelled down the hall.

"Shh!" was my only reply. Man, that kid is so loud.

"Mmm," I heard from behind me. As I turned around I saw Jessica waking up.

"Hey, Jess. Jackson wake you?"

"Is that any surprise?" she replied with a smile. I love seeing her smile. It's not often that I get to see it nowadays.

"Did you at least sleep well?"

"I did. I had a weird dream."

"Uh oh, about what? Chanyeol?

"Yep. I had a dream that he came here. He sat by me and we talked for a while. Normally when I dream about him it's different. The good dreams are about the times we had before I found out about him, and the bad ones are about him attacking me. Never ones like this. It almost felt real."

"But it wasn't. Keep that in mind."

"I know, I'm just saying it felt real."

"Alright, Jess, just go ahead and try to get back to sleep."

I turned towards the door and left Jessica alone to get some rest. Then, I headed back downstairs with the rest of the guys.

"Hey, Youngjae?" Mark said with a look on his face.

"Yeah, Mark?"

"When you came in, did you disarm the alarm system?"

I thought about it for a moment, and then realized that I didn't and shook my head.

"Shit, did we forget to set it?" Yugyeom said.

"No, I know we did. Youngjae made sure to double check," JB added.

I stood there, just thinking.

"Hey, guys?" I finally said. "Jess said something about a dream she had about Chanyeol. She said that in the dream he came here and talked to her in our room. She said it felt real. You don't think?"