Chapter 3

Dex was in an absolute panic.

He was at the library in Foxfire, by a specific table that Fitz told him to meet him at.
Dex kept fiddling with his cape and his hair, trying to ensure he looked fine. His hair was an absolute mess this morning and so he was afraid that it looked horrible as he was in a rush to get ready otherwise he'd be late.

Dex then looked over and seen Fitz making his way over. Dex blinked and he sort of pouted as he seen how perfect Fitz looked.
His hair looked neat, he walked all high and mighty, his outfit did not have any burn marks on it (Sometimes during his Alchemy lessons, Dex gets a little distracted), and he just looked... well, perfect.
And Dex hated how it made his heart beat so fast and how it made his stomach flutter.

Fitz gave Dex a friendly smile as he approached him.
"Good morning..." Fitz said, taking the seat across from Dex.
Dex smiled back, trying not to be awkward. Fitz took notice of Dex's dimples. He never really noticed that feature of Dex's face when he smiled...
"Morning..."Dex said, fiddling with his cape.

A small silence fell between them and Dex didn't really look at Fitz. He didn't want to stare and daydream, or embarrass himself. Fitz, on the other hand, stared at Dex.

Fitz cleared his throat.
"I've... noticed you've seemed to be not feeling very well." Fitz stated.
Dex was a little surprised.
"Huh?" Dex looked at Fitz, confused.
Fitz looked at Dex.
"I mean, the other day your face was really red. Are you sick, perhaps? You shouldn't be in school if you're severely sick." Fitz said.
Dex stared at Fitz.
"Ah, I'm not sick, I'm... I'm fine!" Dex exclaimed, shaking his hands at Fitz.
"It's nice to know you care Fitz, but I'm fine."

Fitz furrowed his eyebrows and stared at Dex.
He leaned in a little bit which made Dex let out a small squeak.
"You have bags under your eyes. How could you do that to yourself?" Fitz questioned.
Dex raised his eyebrows, the sudden fluttery feeling in his stomach disappearing.
"Excuse me?" Dex scoffed out.

Fitz stared at how dark it was under Dex's eyes.
"Why aren't you getting proper sleep? Why would you let yourself get such horrid bags?" Fitz questioned, basically judging Dex.
Moments like these made Dex question why he liked Fitz.
Dex managed to smile at Fitz.

"Well, having three younger siblings who cause mischief in the house when all you want to do is read, study or make a new gadget, is tiring. You tend to stay up to make those new gadgets, sketch out ideas of those gadgets while they're asleep because they're finally not bothering you! "Dex exclaimed, his tone of voice harsh and offended.
"And of course, your parents come in at like... 4am? Tell you to get sleep and all you can think about is getting the gadget finished. So you can't sleep until it's 5am, and then you have to wake up at 7am to get ready for school. So you get 2 hours of sleep and the cycle repeats every single day. "

Dex got up from his seat, slamming his hands on the desk, still smiling at Fitz.
"Tell me. Do you think I do this to myself on purpose, Fitz? Did I ask for my body to cause the bags under my eyes because I don't get enough sleep?" Dex questioned.
Fitz blinked at Dex.
"Uh-" Fitz was about to answer.
"It's a rhetorical question Fitz!" Dex scolded, glaring at the Vacker male.
"God, if you wanted to talk to me just to be a dick and not be a good friend, then I'm leaving-!"

Dex was about to walk past Fitz before he felt his wrist being grabbed.
"Wait."
Dex felt his cheeks warm. Fitz's fingers wrapped around his wrist felt warm. His fingertips felt so... gentle and soft. Dex hated how such a simple touch could make his anger fade away. Dex stopped but he didn't face Fitz. Fitz looked at Dex, frowning as he didn't look at him.

"... That was rude of me, I'm sorry." Fitz said.
"I don't understand what it's like to live your life, I just... I'm more privileged and luckier than you so-"
Those feelings of anger suddenly flooded back. It's crazy how Fitz could have such a pretty face, how he could be so intelligent in his studies and yet spout that complete nonsense.
"You're not luckier than I am." Dex scowled, escaping Fitz's grasp.
Dex faced Fitz.