Chapter 8

Dex hummed quietly as he made sure he restocked the shelves with some elixirs that they needed to restock. He was working with his father for the day and so far it's been calm. A few customers have come in, a few have been those stuffy nobles who seemed uncomfortable to be in here but they needed some elixirs so they probably had to pep themselves before they entered.

"Dex, I'm gonna go into the back to prepare some more elixirs." Kesler said, going over to Dex.
Dex looked at his dad and smiled.
"Okay. I'll take over the counter." Dex said.
Kesler smiled and ruffled Dex's hair.
"Good on you, let me know if you come across any snobs and need help." Kesler said.
"Good luck!"
Kesler walked off, heading towards the back of the store in order to prepare more elixirs.

Dex hummed to himself as he paced through the shop, ensuring nothing needed to be restocked and to try to get rid of his boredom of standing behind the counter all day.
Dex heard the belching noise of the front door opening and he looked over.
"Hello and welcome to Slurps and Burps-" Dex began.
Dex stopped when he seen Della, Fitz and Biana all enter the store.
Dex smiled at the Vacker family.

"Ah! Hello!" Dex exclaimed.
Della looked about the store, smiling slightly.
"This store is quite interesting." Della said, looking at Dex.
Dex looked at Della.
"My dad specifically made it this way to annoy stuffy nobles." Dex said.
Della hummed. "Mmh..."
"Well it's lovely. It's very unique."

Dex then looked at Biana who was also looking about. She had walked over towards a certain shelf, looking through the elixirs. Fitz fiddled with his cape as he looked around as well.
Della seemed to furrow her eyebrows slightly as she tried to figure out how to search for what she needed.

"Dex, dear, where can we find some elixir which will help with a cold?" Della smiled at Dex.
Dex felt his cheeks flush when Della called him 'dear'.
"Oh! Uh, I think they're behind the counter!" Dex exclaimed, quickly walking over behind the counter.
Fitz walked over towards the counter as Della continued to look around.
Dex went on the tip of his toes and grabbed a bottle of elixir that was on one of the highest shelves.

Dex turned around and placed the elixir on the counter. He then looked up and faced Fitz.
Fitz smiled at Dex.
"Thanks."Fitz said.
Dex smiled back.
"Yeah, no problem. Uh, so is Lord Alden unwell then?" Dex questioned.
"He overworked himself and got sick." Biana said from afar.

"Ooh! Hair dye!"
Dex looked over at Biana who tried to reach for the bottle which was used to dye someone's hair.
Della seemed to sigh as she went over to Biana. They both began to talk about the hair dye and whether or not Biana would be allowed to buy it.
Fitz glanced at his sister and mother but then faced Dex again.
Dex smiled at Fitz.

"I didn't expect to see you here." Dex said.
"I'm not a stuffy noble." Fitz stated.
"Not anymore." Dex grinned.
"Because of the great Dex Dizznee! Who made you see the error of your ways!"
Fitz rolled his eyes.
"Mmh, yeah..." Fitz sighed out.
"Where's your dad? I thought he'd be around here somewhere..."
Fitz glanced about.
"He's preparing more elixirs in the back." Dex said, leaning against the counter now.

Dex glanced at Biana and Della again, who seemed to have the bottle of hair dye and seemed to be looking through more bottles and elixirs.
"I didn't expect Lady Della to seem... pleased with this place." Dex stated.
"My mother likes it when not everything is... well seen as 'perfect'." Fitz said.
"I'll admit, I always thought it was bold and brave of your dad to do this as well."
Fitz looked around and Dex stared at Fitz, a little surprised to hear those words from him.
Fitz then looked back at Dex and they held eye contact.
Dex smiled as he bit his lower lip.
"Huh..."

Fitz couldn't help but smile and he shrugged.
"What?" Fitz asked.
Dex shrugged back.
"No, nothing... I just didn't expect you to say that." Dex said.
"Well, I never shared that opinion freely because of how judgmental other people are. Especially my dad." Fitz said.
Dex blinked.
"Your dad has always seemed really nice though." Dex stated.
"I complain about those girls who surround me all the time at Foxfire and yet I keep up nice appearances with them, don't I?" Fitz questioned, winking at Dex.
Dex felt his cheeks flush when Fitz winked at him.

"Wait, so does your dad really not... like me or my family that much then?" Dex questioned.
Fitz sighed.
"He tries not to express his opinion much because of how we're friends with you and also Tam and Linh." Fitz said.
"But... when you've known the guy all your life, you know how he truly feels, no matter how hard he tries to hide it."
Dex hummed, a bitter expression on his face.
"Ah..."

Fitz frowned slightly and he gently reached his hand over and placed it over Dex's. As soon as he touched Dex's hand, he felt a spark. What did it mean? He had no idea. But he smiled kindly at Dex and Dex's face turned red as he looked at their hands before looking into Fitz's eyes.

"I think he's warming up to you though." Fitz shrugged, smiling at Dex.
Fitz gently rubbed the back of Dex's hand with his thumb. Dex's breath hitched and Fitz felt his heart beat much faster. He could hear it beat so fast and it got louder with each beat.
"Hah, Fitz... I don't care about your dad's opinion. I care about what you and Biana think of me." Dex said.
"Since you guys are my friends."

Dex decided to take a chance and he slipped his hand right into Fitz's, holding it. Dex expected Fitz to take it away as soon as he attempted to hold it but Fitz held his hand, squeezing it tighter.
Fitz gulped as many emotions flooded through him. Dex's hand was so warm, his fingers were rough. Probably because of how much he uses them to work on his projects or gadgets... They felt a little sweaty but, well Fitz didn't mind it as much as he thought he would.

"Alright, sorry about that, Dex. Here's a few more things for you to ring up for us!" Della exclaimed as she made her way over.
Fitz and Dex both took their hands away from each other's. Dex smiled, trying to ignore how his face was definitely super red, and looked away from Fitz.
"Ah! It's okay!" Dex exclaimed as Della placed the bottles on the counter.
Dex looked at the elixirs and bottles, quickly ringing up the other things.

Fitz's face was red as well and his heart was beating out of his chest.
He nearly forgot his mother and Biana was still here. He was too caught up in the moment there.
I mean, what moment? Fitz was platonically holding Dex's hand! There was nothing to it!
Fitz was straight! He didn't like guys!

Biana looked at Fitz, furrowing her eyebrows at how he seemed to be super flustered.
"... Fitzroy, what's up with you?" Biana asked, wrapping her arm around Fitz's shoulder as Della paid Dex for the bottles and elixirs while Dex packed them in a bag.
"Nothing! And stop calling me Fitzroy!" Fitz scowled, looking at Biana.
Biana stuck her tongue out at Fitz and Fitz shoved her arm off his shoulder.

"I hope Lord Alden will get better soon." Dex said, handing the bag to Della.
Della took the bag and smiled.
"Tell your father we said hello too, Dex. Thank you." Della said.
"Come on Fitz, Biana."
Della walked off and Fitz looked at Dex, waving bye before he quickly followed his mother.
Biana looked at Dex. She stared at his face which was equally as red as Fitz's.
"Bye Dex." Biana smiled, waving at Dex.
"Uh, Bye!" Dex waved back.
Biana quickly followed her mother and Fitz. She stared at how Fitz ran his fingers through his hair and seemed to mutter something under his breath.

Biana never realized that her brother may in fact not be straight.

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 1406