Chapter 30

Dex kept fiddling with his cape and his family crest as he stood outside the doors of Everglen.
He was extremely nervous.
It didn't help that his mother, Juline, kept forcing him to switch outfits until it was 'perfect' for dinner with the Vackers.

Dex took a deep breath and just as he was about to knock on the door, it opened.
Dex blinked as he seen Biana.
"Why are you just standing there?" Biana smiled.
Dex looked at how Biana was dressed, her dress was quite elegant and...sparkly. It was teal, complimenting her eyes.
"Uh...nerves?" Dex smiled at Biana, answering her question.
Biana rolled her eyes as she took Dex by the arm and dragged him inside. Dex yelped and Biana shut the door. Dex looked over at Biana and Biana was already taking off his cape for him.

"Well, you have nothing to worry about." Biana said, folding the cape in her arms.
"You know me, you're Fitz's boyfriend, and our mother has been looking forward to see you again."
Biana flashed a smile at Dex and Dex took a deep breath.
"Uh, so where's Fitz?" Dex asked, glancing around.
Biana set aside Dex's cape and hummed for a moment.
"He is helping setting out the plates while our mother is setting out dinner on the table." Biana said.
"You ready to head to the dining room?"

Biana interlocked her arm with Dex's.
Dex took another breath as he ran his fingers through his hair.
"Uh, do I look okay?" Dex asked.
Biana glanced Dex up and down.
"You look fine, Dex." Biana smiled.
"C'mon."
Biana patted Dex's arm as she walked off. Dex followed alongside her, as their arms were interlocked and Dex didn't feel like being dragged about.

They made it to the dining room and Dex felt awkward as he seen Della fixing Fitz's hair.
Biana cleared her throat as it seemed they didn't notice them.
Della and Fitz looked over and both of them smiled.
"Ah! Hello Dex! Welcome!" Della exclaimed, making her way over to Dex.
Biana took her arm away from Dex and stepped aside.
"T-thank you for inviting me over for dinner, Lady Della." Dex said, smiling awkwardly.
Della sighed. "Don't be so formal! You can drop the title." 
Dex was clearly surprised but he smiled.
"...Alright, well...thank you Della." Dex nodded.
Della smiled at Dex.
"Come take a seat. Dinner is prepared already so we can start digging in."

Della placed a hand on Dex's shoulder and guided him towards the table.
Dex looked at Fitz who seemed to be smiling a lot.
Fitz went ahead and pulled out a chair and Della patted Dex's back as she made her way towards her seat that would be across from Dex. Dex looked at Fitz.
"Come on, sit down." Fitz said, his tone teasing.
Dex smiled as he bit his inner cheek, sitting down in the chair Fitz pulled out.
"Thank you..." Dex said as Fitz tucked the chair in.
Fitz took the seat beside Dex.
Biana sat across from Fitz and Dex looked at the table which was filled with a variety of foods.

Dex was unsure what to do, what he wanted and he watched as Della and Biana began to fill their plates. Fitz looked at Dex and he shuffled his chair closer to Dex, slightly leaning in.
"Want me to pick you out some stuff?" Fitz asked, his tone of voice sweet.
Dex felt his cheeks warm as he nodded.
"Please..." Dex mumbled.
Fitz smiled and sighed softly as he took Dex's empty plate and began to fill it with a variety of foods or things he'd like. Dex watched as Fitz filled the plate.

"So, Dex. How are things at Rimeshire?" Della asked.
Dex looked at Della and noticed Biana was already digging into dinner.
"Uh, chaotic as always." Dex smiled.
"My siblings are still causing trouble around the house while me and my dad keep experimenting with elixirs and gadgets."
Della hummed, nodding.
"Well, one day we must have dinner with your entire family." Della smiled at Dex.
"Hopefully Alden will be able to join, but...that depends on Fitz's decision when he comes out."

Fitz sort of tensed up and he set the plate that he stuffed with food in front of Dex.
"Thanks." Dex said softly, looking at Fitz and giving him a smile.
Fitz smiled back. "No problem. You don't have to eat it all."
Fitz began to fill his own plate and he glanced at Biana who was still eating.
"Do you have any manners?" Fitz scowled.
"What? Dad's not here to scold me or tell me to wait." Biana shrugged.
"Plus, Dex doesn't mind, do you?"
Dex was about to speak.
"See?! He's fine with it!" Biana smiled at Fitz.
Fitz grumbled and he began to bicker with Biana.

Dex held back a laugh as he glanced at Della who sighed, rolling her eyes.
"While my two immature children are fighting, let's talk." Della smiled at Dex.
Dex smiled back at Della.
"You don't mind it when they're like this?" Dex asked.
"They're siblings, siblings bicker." Della said.
"It's normal, even though my husband finds it improper..."
Dex hummed.

"Is...Lord Alden quite strict with this whole...nobility thing? Even at home?" Dex questioned.
Della seemed to hesitate and Dex sucked in a breath.
"Ah- sorry, no that's none of my business!" Dex exclaimed, shaking his hands.
"You don't have to answer that, Della! I apologise-"
"My husband thinks it's important to act perfect at all times. He likes to tell Fitz this more often." Della said.
Dex glanced at Fitz and Biana, who were not aware of their conversation.
Dex bit his lower lip.
"Perhaps...we could talk about this when we're alone?" Dex suggested, his voice sort of quiet.
"I'd like to hear your perspective on all of that, without them...well, getting weird about it."
Della smiled and nodded. "Of course, Dex. After dinner, I can make us tea. We can chat."
Dex smiled back.
"That sounds wonderful, thank you."

"Huh? Wait, but he's my boyfriend! I want to hang out with him!"
"Fitz, dear...you can hang out with Dex after we've chatted, if he isn't tired that is."
"Yeah, plus you see Dex everyday! You need to relax, Fitzy."
"Wha- I'm not allowed to want to hang out with Dex in the comfort of my own home?"
"Looks like we need to hide out in the library more often then Fitzroy."
"Hide out in the library...?"
"Ah! Uh...ignore me Della!"