Chapter 38

Dex bit his nails as he paced back and forth in his bedroom.

How long had it been since Alden caught him and Fitz acting like a couple? Perhaps a couple of hours. It was getting late, but Dex was certain Fitz would hail him.
The triplets were asleep, but his parents were still awake. Dex told them what happened and so, they decided to stay up until Dex was able to talk to Fitz again.

Dex sort of jumped when his imparter went off. He quickly went over to his desk, where he left it and checked to see who messaged him. It was none other than Fitz and so Dex let out a sigh of relief that Alden didn't murder his son. But...reading the message made Dex worry.

'I'm coming over to talk. See you in a few minutes.'

Dex fiddled with his fingers as he read it and he took a deep breath as he set down his imparter and grabbed his cape, clasping it over his shoulders as he made his way out of his room and down the stairs to go outside to both wait for and talk to Fitz.

*****

Dex looked up ahead and seen Fitz fiddling with his own cape as he walked up to Dex who was just getting up from the porch, which he sat on.

"Hey, uhm... is everything okay?" Dex asked, going up towards Fitz.
Dex was about to lean in to kiss Fitz's cheek but Fitz avoided the kiss, averting his gaze as he gulped. Dex frowned as he looked at Fitz.
"Fitz...?"

Fitz didn't look at Dex and he fiddled with his hands.
"My father had a talk with me." Fitz stated, still not holding eye contact with Dex.
"And... it's been decided that this... thing between us can't continue."
Dex's heart dropped and he stared at Fitz.
"You want to break up?" Dex asked.
Fitz glanced at Dex, and god, that was a mistake as now he couldn't help but hold eye contact with Dex. Dex's eyes watered and Fitz held back any tears that wanted to start pouring out of his eyes.

"No, wait, let me rephrase that." Dex scoffed, running his fingers through his hair.
"Your dad wants us to break up?"
Fitz bit his lower lip and he nodded.
"He told me that it's best for us to end it now before things get any further, before we start getting more committed-" Fitz began.
"What do you think?" Dex asked, his voice breaking but his tone harsh.
Fitz gulped, finding it really difficult to hold back his tears.
"I think that my father knows best." Fitz said, his voice quiet.

Dex stared at Fitz and his breath hitched.
"Fitz..." Dex breathed out.
"Please, please, god, why can't you do something selfish for once in your life-?!"
"We have had our fun, we're teenagers and we're young, this was all for fun and for experimentation which meant nothing." Fitz cut Dex off, snarling at Dex.
"This all... meant... nothing."
Dex's hands clenched into fists.
"Did he make you rehearse this before you came?!" Dex snapped, glaring at Fitz.
"Fitz, his opinion doesn't matter! Your mother is accepting of this, Biana still loves you, I--why does you father have this huge impact on you?!"
"I am the image of the Vacker family and I cannot let him down!" Fitz shouted, glaring at Dex.
"If he tells me to do something in order to keep my image perfect, to ensure that my reputation doesn't crash and burn and just crumble-!"
"It's always about your fucking reputation and image!" Dex shouted as he threw his hands around in anger.
"Fitz, seriously?! A while ago you told me you didn't care! You told me that you were happy, that-- that I was who you've been looking for-!"
"I was wrong." Fitz said, averting his gaze and shaking his head.
"I wasn't thinking straight-"
"Because you're not straight." Dex scowled.
"You can't act like you don't like guys-"
"I do like guys. My father is okay with it, as long as I don't act on my thoughts or my emotions." Fitz said.