Chapter 7

Dex sighed as he made his way into the library and towards the table he expected Fitz would want to meet up at.
As Dex appraoched the table, he seen Fitz already sat down by it and he seemed to notice him.
Fitz smiled at Dex and Dex couldn't stop himself from smiling back.

Dex made his way over and sat down across from Fitz, setting the bouquet of flowers onto the desk.
"Hey, my Mentor wanted to talk to me after class so that's why I'm a little late." Dex said, sighing as he ran his fingers through his hair.
Fitz stared at the flowers on the desk.

"You... You've been carrying that all day?" Fitz questioned, looking back at Dex.
Fitz noticed how Dex began to blush and he couldn't help but grin.
"I'd forget them if they were in my locker. And my bag would squish them so..." Dex shrugged, looking away from Fitz.
"It's not been fun, I mean... every single girl at Foxfire keeps glaring at me because you gave me these flowers."

Fitz sighed.
"Yeah, they kept bothering me about that too." Fitz said.
"I mean, I can't give a bouquet of flowers to my friend? To apologise?"
Dex's heart sank, but he didn't think much of it. He knew he would only be Fitz's friend. They would never become anything more. But... he was okay with that.

"Apparently not. You need to start courting a girl apparently." Dex said, grinning at Fitz.
Fitz let out a laugh.
"Yeah, God... All of those girls are so exhausting though." Fitz sighed softly.
"I mean, I nearly didn't come here because a whole group of them swarmed around me."
"Hey, you are an attractive guy. They all just want to try and claim you as theirs." Dex said shrugging.
"Though they have no reason to be jealous of me. You're not into guys. And like you said, we're just friends."
Now Fitz felt a strange emotion overcome him.
"Exactly." Fitz said, smiling at Dex.

"Y'know, I should've started being nicer to you sooner." Fitz sighed softly.
"Mmh, how come?" Dex asked, raising an eyebrow at Fitz
"It's just... it's nice talking to you, I guess. If I started talking to you sooner, maybe I'd feel less pressured about trying to be perfect all the time..." Fitz shrugged, smiling at Dex.
God, Fitz really knew how to make Dex fall even more for him, didn't he?

"Other than Keefe though, right?" Dex questioned.
"Ugh, Keefe doesn't count." Fitz said, shaking his head.
"He's more like a brother to me. You're my friend. It's different!"
"Is it...?"
"It is."

As they continued to chat, Dex felt more and more comfortable as Fitz seemed to open up a little more towards him too.
Fitz wasn't lying. Talking to Dex was different than talking to anyone else. It felt... better to talk to Dex than to Keefe. Fitz loved Keefe, platonically, and he loved talking to him but now...
Now he had someone else he could talk to.
Someone else he could rely on when he feels like he's trapped, like he's stuck having to be this perfect guy all the time.

And... that was honestly pretty cool. Fitz was thankful towards Keefe for convincing him to talk to Dex in the first place, even if it started out rocky.

*****

Dex sighed as he was struggling to finish this homework one of his mentors assigned him.
Dex rubbed his eyes, groaning and leaning back in his seat.
He hated homework so much.

Dex the looked over by his dresser by his bed and he seen the bouquet of flowers he had placed in a vase with water in it. Dex smiled as he stared at the array of flowers, admiring them from afar.

What a silly little thing. Everytime Dex looked at the flowers, his heart fluttered and he could not stop smiling to himself.

Okay, he knew that there was no way he'd have a chance with Fitz. Especially with how many times Fitz seemed to state that they were just 'friends'. A little heartbreaking to hear multiple times, but it's not as if Dex expected Fitz to think of him as a possible boyfriend. Especially since it was so obvious Fitz was straight.