Chapter 34

"I'm sorry I'm so late." Fitz faked a smile as he took a seat next to Biana, across from Lord Vincent.
Fitz looked next to Lord Vincent and saw his daughter, who was staring at him.
Fitz averted his gaze and looked at Biana. Biana rolled her eyes at Fitz and Fitz's smile became genuine.

"What took you so long?" Alden asked, raising an eyebrow at Fitz who began to fill his plate as everyone else already filled their plate.
"I was hanging out with Keefe." Fitz said, shrugging.
"He wasn't that late anyway." Della said, smiling at Alden.
"We're happy you made it, Fitz."
Della looked at her son and Fitz smiled at his mother.

"Yes, it's been a few weeks since we've seen each other." Lord Vincent said, smiling at Fitz.
Fitz looked at Lord Vincent.
"...I apologise if I left so rashly that time." Fitz said, faking another smile.
"It's quite alright, I just didn't expect you to go after that Dizznee boy." Lord Vincent waved his hand at Fitz.
Alden blinked and he looked at Fitz.
"That Dizznee boy?" Alden questioned.
Fitz felt the panic rise in him and he maintained eye contact with Lord Vincent who was still smiling at him.
"...I went out with Dex a little while ago and we ran into Lord Vincent so I talked to him, but Dex wanted to go home and I wanted to say goodbye to him by taking him home." Fitz said, his tone steady and calm as he looked at his father.
Della and Biana glanced at each other as they watched Fitz.
"Fitz-" Alden began.

"You and Dex are quite close, no?"
Fitz looked over to Lord Vincent's daughter.
He remembered her name, only because Lord Vincent mentioned her all those weeks ago.
"We're good friends." Fitz said, smiling at Elowyn.
"I'm sure you're closer than that." Elowyn smiled at Fitz.
Fitz stared at Elowyn. She really put in a lot of effort to make herself look nice for the evening. Her vibrant red hair was perfectly straightened and she had put on a lot of make up on her face.

Lord Vincent cleared his throat.
"Elowyn, don't be so rude." Lord Vincent slightly scowled.
Elowyn held eye contact with Fitz. Fitz felt some sort of horrible burning emotion in his chest. This girl knew he and Dex were a thing, Lord Vincent seemed to know about it too. But why didn't he say anything to his dad?
"No, I'm curious." Alden said, looking at Fitz and Lord Vincent.
"Dex and I are just good friends." Fitz said, looking at his father.

"Let's just move on and dig into dinner before it gets even more cold!"
Fitz grabbed his fork and knife and instantly began to dig in.
Biana frowned as she looked at Fitz. She glanced at Lord Vincent and Elowyn. Elowyn stared at Fitz before she began to dig into her own meal. Alden also stared at Fitz before he began to eat as well.

What a great start to the dinner.

*****

"I've forgotten how lovely dinner is when we're over." Lord Vincent sighed, smiling at Della.
Della faked a smile at Lord Vincent.
"Yes...well, perhaps we should go to your place next." Della said.
"We'll see, I will be busy again for the next few weeks." Lord Vincent said.

"Though, I did want to ask about something."
Lord Vincent held eye contact with Fitz. Fitz felt weird. He thought Lord Vincent was a pretty nice guy, but now? God, he felt scared.
"Go ahead." Fitz managed a smile.
"When will you go get your list? From the Matchmakers' office?" Lord Vincent asked.
Fitz froze for a moment.
"I think I am going to wait a few more years before I get my list. I'm in no rush for my matches." Fitz said.

"If that is all, I really must go to my room. I have homework to complete."
"Fitz, don't be rude-" Alden began.
"On you go, Fitz." Della said, patting Fitz's back.
Fitz smiled at his mother and he glanced back at Lord Vincent and Elowyn.
"It was nice seeing you, goodbye and have a safe journey home." Fitz said.
Fitz quickly turned away and left.
Biana watched as Fitz left.

"I have no idea what has gotten into him recently." Alden sighed out, running his fingers through his hair.
"He was obsessed with getting his list and he says that?"
Lord Vincent sighed softly.
"Perhaps...your boy has found himself a partner already." Lord Vincent smiled.
"It may be a secret though."
"I think that's enough." Della smiled sweetly at Lord Vincent, taking a step closer to him.
"You've been poking your nose in Fitz's love life all evening, and so has your daughter, and I think it is quite rude, especially since you are obviously trying to set Elowyn up with my son, who clearly is showing no interest!"
"Della-" Alden began.
Lord Vincent laughed.
"Haha! It's alright, Alden. Della doesn't scare me." Lord Vincent winked at Della.
Della grumbled and she took a few steps back.

"You should leave." Biana stated, smiling at Lord Vincent and Elowyn.
"We're about to-" Elowyn began.
"Now." Biana glared.
"I do not appreciate the sort of energy you've brought into my household, please leave."
"I'm sorry about my wife and daughter-" Alden began, walking up to Lord Vincent.
"I take no offence. We really should be leaving anyway. Thank you for a lovely dinner." Lord Vincent smiled.
"Elowyn?"
"Yes, thank you, Lord Alden and Lady Della."

And like that, the two light-leapt away.

"What is wrong with everyone in this house?!" Alden scowled at Della and Biana.
Della glared at Alden.
"Lord Vincent is trying to get his daughter to be with our son." Della stated.
"And? Elowyn is a lovely girl! And from a prestigious family!" Alden exclaimed.
"Is that honestly all you care about?!" Biana scowled at her father.
"God! I'm so sick of this shit! Fitz isn't going to be with someone he doesn't love!"
Biana then stormed off and Alden huffed.
"Did you hear her language-?" Alden began.
"You're sleeping on the couch tonight." Della smiled at Alden.
"If you dare crawl into bed with me, I will ensure you regret it."
Della then walked off, heading another direction than Biana and Fitz did.
Alden blinked and he sighed.

Had his family gone mad?

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 1069