Chapter 13

Biana stared at Dex who seemed to be deep in thought. Keefe seemed to be glancing at Dex every now and then, while he was talking to Tam. Linh and Sophie were in their own conversation as well.

"Why hasn't Fitz been in recently?" Dex asked, looking at Biana.
Biana sighed softly.
"He claims he's not feeling well." Biana said.
"He's not sick, but... I dunno. He seems like he's too deep in thought about something, maybe someone."
Dex frowned and hummed.
"Ah..."

Keefe cleared his throat.
"He just needs a little space, Dex." Keefe said, looking at the Technopath.
"He's being stubborn again, he's stuck with the decision of either saving his reputation, well the Vacker reputation, or deciding to make himself happy."
Dex looked at Keefe.
"What?" Dex questioned.
Keefe shrugged, rolling his eyes.
"He's being difficult. Unless he contacts you, just... try not to think about him." Keefe said.

"Is he still unsure about-?" Tam began to ask.
"No, he knows." Keefe responded, looking at Tam.
"He just... he likes making life harder on himself."
Tam frowned.
"That's not healthy." Tam stated.
"Trust me Tam, he doesn't listen to anyone who tells him that." Biana sighed out.

"I mean, Sophie. Do you remember when you and Fitz were a thing, once his mind was set on doing something, he wouldn't budge?"
Sophie blinked, a little surprised by Biana asking this random question.
"Uh, yeah I guess..." Sophie mumbled, feeling uncomfortable with the reminder she used to date Fitz.
"He's just being an idiot again. He'll snap out of it soon."
Sophie looked at Dex.
Dex hummed.

Keefe looked at Dex, who didn't seem to feel any more at ease after what has been said. He felt bad but he couldn't tell Dex what was actually going on. I mean, it was up to Fitz if he wanted to tell Dex how he felt or not.

"C'mon guys! Let's stop it with this sad atmosphere!" Linh exclaimed.
"Dex, I'm sure Fitz is fine. He probably just needs a little time and he'll be back to normal in no time!"
Dex smiled at Linh.
"Yeah, sure..." Dex mumbled.
"Uh, y'know what we could talk about?" Keefe said, looking at Linh.
"Mmh?" Linh smiled at Keefe.

Tam felt his nerves rise and he smacked Keefe in the back of his head.
"No!" Tam scowled.
Keefe whined as he looked at Tam.
"You abuse me way too much Tammy!" Keefe exclaimed.
"To prevent you from doing something stupid!" Tam exclaimed.
"You're the reason why I'm losing brain cells and keep doing stupid stuff..." Keefe mumbled.

"What was that?"
"Gah! Nothing!"

Dex was still lost in thought about Fitz.
He was worried, and if Fitz hasn't been contacting him and probably won't for the next few days...
Well... Dex would just have to visit Fitz. 

*****

Fitz ran his fingers through his hair as he leaned against the desk in his room.
He didn't know what to do. He still couldn't cope with the fact that he had feelings for Dex. I mean, what does he do with that information?
He can't... he can't confess. It'd ruin everything. But... if he doesn't confess, will he have to suffer with this silly crush of his on Dex?

Fitz groaned as he slammed his hands on his desk. He brought up one of his hands towards his lips and he began to nibble at his nails.
It was a filthy habit, it ruined his nails. But when Fitz gets stressed like this... god, he had to do something.

Fitz then looked over at the door as soon as he heard a knock.
"Come in." Fitz called, turning around in his chair to face the door.
Fitz began to fiddle with his hands as the door opened. He couldn't let his mother or father catch him biting his nails. They'd say something about it, they'd scold him for ruining his nails.

Fitz froze and his heart began to beat loudly and faster as he seen the male he'd been trying to avoid for the past few days enter the room.
Dex awkwardly smiled at Fitz as he shut the door behind him.
"Hey." Dex said.
Fitz forgot how to breathe, how to speak. It took him a moment.

"Uh... what are you doing here?" Fitz asked.
Yeah, maybe he should've greeted Dex more, well, friendlier but... he was confused why the Technopath was here.
Dex seemed to furrow his eyebrows and he let out a soft laugh.
"Hah, uh... well, it's been days since I saw you and I was worried." Dex said, going over and sitting down on the edge of Fitz's bed.
Fitz turned around in his chair to face Dex.

Fitz hummed in response, now nervously rubbing the back of his neck.
"Ah... yeah, I just... needed time to think about something." Fitz said.
"I'm sort of stuck between two things."
Dex nodded, humming.
"Will I be able to help you with this dilemma of yours?" Dex asked, tilting his head.
Fitz hesitated.

"... It's between my feelings and the Vacker image." Fitz stated.
Dex hummed.
"Uh, easy. Feelings." Dex said.
"Do whatever makes you happy, and if it ruins your name or family's reputation? Who cares, you'll be happy that you went with your emotions!"
Fitz laughed softly and he ran his fingers through his hair.
"It's not that simple, Dex." Fitz said, sighing.

"I mean... I don't know what to do. My father will be so disappointed in me and-"
Dex scoffed loudly.
"Ughh, Fittzz!" Dex whined.
"Stop thinking about your dad all the time, think about yourself!"
Fitz scoffed quietly as he looked at Dex. Dex raised his eyebrows at Fitz.
"Hey, don't act like I'm crazy for saying that." Dex said, raising his hands in the air.

Fitz bit his inner cheek.
"I don't like how you and Keefe tell me practically the same thing." Fitz grumbled.
"Oh, so Keefe's told you to think about yourself first too? Well, I understand a little hesitation when Keefe tells you that, but when I'm telling you that too... you gotta listen." Dex stated.
Fitz let out a laugh.
"Haha, don't talk about Keefe like that. He's smart... sometimes." Fitz smiled at Dex.

Dex smiled and he sighed softly as he got up.
"Seriously Fitz... go with your heart." Dex said.
"It'll... it'll be good. Especially with how much pressure you put on yourself. Do whatever makes you happy."
Fitz looked up at Dex and he hummed.
"I'll... think about it." Fitz said.
Dex nodded.

"Good. Also, please come back to Foxfire. Everyone is a little worried about you. Especially Keefe." Dex said.
"And I miss saving you from all those girls."
Fitz snickered and he smiled at Dex.
"I'll come back tomorrow." Fitz said.
"But you really will have to save me. I'm gonna be surrounded by girls who'll ask me where I was all week..."
Dex hummed.

Dex then reached his hand over and ruffled Fitz's hair.
"Well, I told Biana we'd hang out so I'll be with your sister along with Tam and Linh." Dex said.
Fitz's face scrunched up when Dex ruffled his hair and it just made Dex smile.
Fitz felt his cheeks warm and he ran his fingers through his hair, fixing it.
" Mmh, yeah have fun... "Fitz grumbled.
Dex grinned.
"I will, have fun moping and deciding what to do about your dilemma!"
Dex walked off, heading towards the door. Fitz watched as Dex left his room and he sighed out softly once he was alone once more.

Fitz hid his face in his hands and let out a loud groan.
He wanted to be happy, of course he did... but he also didn't want to be a disappointment to his father.

... He'd leave it for now.
He wouldn't confess to Dex, but he accepts that he has feelings for the male. And... it gives him a little more time to think about this, to see if it really would be worth ruining his image just for a chance to have a boyfriend and be happy.

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 1333