Chapter Nine 🌹

"NO! Tell me you're only joking, Daddy!" Zhan cried passionately.

Ever since they arrived in China, his father was busy drinking himself to death and Zhan couldn't do anything. He wanted to ask why they went home, but he was sure that he would scold him. Even Haoxuan's housekeeper was shaking their head.

And when he came back from horse riding, he was happy to see that his father was not drunk, but the gladness disappears when he hears what his father said.

"Wang Quiren and I have already agreed," he continued in a serious tone. "You'll be glad he wants you for Wang Yibo."

"No," Zhan refuse firmly. "I won't allow you to do this to me! I won't marry that arrogant man and you can't force me!"

"What have you got against Quiren's youngest son, Zhan? Others would welcome him as their husband, and you must be thankful."

Fengmian stared at his son while frowning. Wondering how Wang Yibo would want someone like Zhan and how Wang Quiren could get his son to marry Zhan.

Besides Zhan being young, he is a boy. An exact opposite of the women associated with Wang Quiren's jet-setter son. Fengmian immediately removed the thought from his mind.

Thankful that through Zhan, he lost a big problem.

"I am not like the others!" Zhan answered in a high voice. "How can you think that I would marry that man not to mention that I have no wish to marry yet?!"

Fengmian's eyes widened. "That's your obligation to me and your brother, Zhan!"

"Oh!" Zhan buried his face in his palms. "Why do you have to blame me always that you didn't inherit the Hacienda Xiao?" he sobbed and said bitterly. Just because he was born late than Haoxuan. Because from their grandfather last will testament, that only the first-born grandchild is the one who will inherit all the Xiao's properties and because of this Haoxuan ended up owning the Hacienda Xiao that was previously in Fengmian's name.

"The entire cottage ranch is mortgaged to the bank and is facing foreclosure in two weeks' time and this the only way to save it."

"That's not true!" he shouted with wide eyes. Zhan didn't want to believe what his father was saying, but the letter after letter from the bank this past month played in his mind. So was the phone call from the bank personnel, his dropping out of school last semester, their monetary crisis.

Fengmian has long lost his job as a computer analyst at the bank because he was often drunk. "The documents are inside the study room, I brought them. You can have a look to believe it." he ordered him and looked in the study room.

"Y-you have no right," he said in a tearful voice. "W-what about Lulu and I?" In reference to his sister who is 4 years old. "And who about my studies?" Zhan asked in a horrified tone.

Regarding your studies, that is a problem for your future husband. You know they're rich that I couldn't even imagine how much. And if you are worried about your sister, I will do what I want to happen.

He lifted his teary face when something suddenly came to mind. "If... if the entire cottage ranch is mortgaged then we can seek Haoxuan Ge's help, Dad. He will not refuse us!" Zhan reflected hope. He was only nineteen, to be married to someone he doesn't love and almost a stranger for that matter. And he was sure that Wang Yibo didn't want to marry him either. Apart from the fact that he is a boy, he is not like the ones he always sees with Yibo in magazines. And Yibo hated him if the basis was the two times they met.

"That's what I thought when Wang Quiren offered his help, Zhan. How he found out about the foreclosure, only the devil knows. I don't want to accept charity from the man who caused my sister's death." Fengmian's face darkened again.

"Then it's no problem, Dad." Zhan smiled a little and wiped the tears from his eyes. "Let's talk to Haoxuan Ge..."

"Don't be stupid, Zhan!" father whined. "Haoxuan's rich because the entire Hacienda Xiao is in his name but he will not be able to sell any part of it because it is clearly written in your grandfather's will and testament that not even one square meter of the land will be sold.

And the share that your cousin inherited from his stepfather remained profitable at WQC. And do you think it would be possible for Haoxuan to take such a large amount without Wang Quiren knowing? We are talking about dollars here and not Yuan. You can think again, Zhan..."

The slight hope that Zhan had been glimpsed was completely gone. He ran out of the room before he burst into tears.