Chapter Forty Five 🌹

Zhan was looking out the window of the log cabin at the back facing the forest with the river on the other side. He could hear the soft lapping of the water. He heard the chopper earlier.

He was sure it was Yibo and he was foolish for missing him so much.

It had been four months since his husband left him in Hacienda Xiao and his belly is already five months old although it is not obvious yet. And during those months Yibo only visited him three times although Zhan knew Yibo was at the villa once a week. That's what Haikuan and Yifei, who have been back from US for two months, told him.

And during the three times Yibo visited him he hardly talks to him. Yibo was only there to inform him of Lulu's condition in Colorado. And somehow Yibo will asks him if he feels something strange and what he needs personally. Nothing but moral obligations.

Yifei once showed him the log cabin where the Wang brothers used to rest when they were teenagers. Zhan instantly fell in love with the place, and it served as his refuge whenever he felt sad. This is where he spends most of the day if he is not at the hacienda. And without Yifei's children, he would probably have lost his mind thinking about his situation. And why Yibo was punishing him like this. He could have just sent him home if he hated him that much.

Although Villa Wang is far from the log cabin there is a shortcut across the river to hacienda Xiao. The water was waist deep and he was able to wade through it with Arab, Haoxuan's stallion.

Zhan took a deep breath and turned up the battery-operated radio-cassette to focus on the music and not on Yibo. When he was startled by the sudden opening of the log cabin door.

"You're five months pregnant, you shouldn't be here and crossing the river to go home," Yibo said before he could recover from the shock.

Zhan was angry with him, hated him. But Zhan couldn't understand why his chest had to jump like that every time he saw his husband. How could anyone hate and love at the same time? "H-how did you know I was here?" His voice was barely out of his mouth to stop Yibo from hearing the excitement in his voice.

Yibo point down on the transceiver hanging from his jeans belt. "I radio the hacienda. The caretakers said you might be here. Yifei and Haikuan said the same thing." Yibo looked at his husband while speaking.

So pretty. Zhan skin is red from staying at the hacienda. His eyes bluer. Pregnancy became him. And Yibo stopped himself from approaching and hug Zhan. Lord, but he missed Zhan madly. And who cared if Quiren was the father of the one Zhan was carrying? He wasn't sure of that.

"I-I love it here. Quiet and peaceful," Zhan whispered softly.

"I forbid you to go here, Zhan," Yibo said authoritatively. "If something happens to you, it will not be known by the caretakers. You don't even have a radio with you, and you shouldn't be riding horse anymore."

Zhan tried to smile. He could see concern in Yibo's eyes, but he was no longer fooled by his moods. Everything he hears and sees here is just an obligation.

"Why are you here?" he asked Yibo.

"I brought you some loosed clothes. The last one I brought might be too tight." Yibo's eyes travelled over his body again. Yibo's eyes stopped at his belly and Zhan saw some anger in his eyes though it didn't last long.

Zhan laughed softly. "I'm drowning in clothes, Yibo. I might not be able to use all the ones you bought until I give birth."

Yibo sat on the bamboo pallet. Enchanted by the sound of Zhan's voice as he laughed. He sighed. "If you want to be here, bring a companion and-"