Chapter Twenty One 🌹

"What?" Zhan asked in disbelief. Did he hear it right?

"Give me back the money that you used to buy back your ranch. That's what in-exchange of my name, right?" YIbo said cruelly. "... And you're free."

Zhan wants to be weakened. Yibo couldn't possibly be that ruthless. But Zhan knew he was. He has proof of that.

"Y-you know I can't do that..." Zhan said.

"Why not, Zhan? Your daddy's gone and you can pay me back the money from the ranch, right?"

"N-The ranch is in Lulu's name." it barely came out of his mouth. He himself told their father to name the property after his little sister because he did not want to remember how the land was returned to them. "It's hers legally when she comes of age..."

Yibo's eyebrows met again. "And how about you?" Zhan raised his face. "I have my job, Mr. Wang."

"Then I'm sorry, Zhan, I cannot give you what you wanted to happen," Yibo said in an emotionless voice.

"Oh, no," he cried. "I don't understand why you wouldn't agree!"

Yibo tilted his head slightly. "I am a businessman, sweetheart. You don't get anything in this world out of nothing. My marriage to you doesn't bother me a bit. Not even as a hindrance to my affairs. If you want your freedom, fine. But give me something back worthy of it."

Zhan sat down dejectedly. He couldn't believe what he heard. "Y-you can't do this to me, Yibo..."

Yibo twisted his lips in half-amusement, half-boredom. And if it wasn't for the situation he was facing, Zhan would find the gesture very sensual.

"The Wang's do not favor divorce, Xiao Zhan," Yibo continued. "Our marriage had done enough damage between me and my family. And if it wasn't for Mom—"

"But what about me, Yibo?" Zhan cut him with an angry and depressed voice. "I cannot live my life just like this."

Yibo didn't answer. A few moments passed before he speaks. "You've just arrived, Zhan," he said in a low tone. "Why don't you relax yourself first? Go around. My car is at your disposal anytime. Then let's talk about the problem without tension, okay?"

"But-"

"Oh, c'mon," Yibo urged in a friendly tone and let out a smile. And Zhan found himself slowly melting with that smile, like snow under the sun. "Maybe our marriage wasn't the normal one and we didn't have a chance to get to know each other."

"N-there's no need," Zhan answered quickly although he was confused by the sudden change in Yibo's mood. And he is confused even more with his own feelings. "We will soon part ways if... if you will just listen to what I say."

Yibo let out a sigh. "It isn't that easy, you know. But I promised you that it would be advantageous for us to spend some time first. As you said, we will soon part ways but can't we do it as friends? Not like when we last parted."

Why not? The Wang's were almost family because of Haoxuan. Zhan nodded slightly. The door chime rang from the gate. Both of them focused on the outside.

"Are you... expecting a visitor?"

"It could be the damned reporters who can't stand..."

"Y-you wouldn't let them in, would you?" Zhan asked worriedly.

"No," Yibo answered firmly. "Unless they are with someone I cannot reject. You go upstairs first," he ordered to Zhan.

Zhan followed without hesitation. Hurriedly walking towards the guest room.