Chapter Thirty Seven 🌹

On the second day after Zhan arrived in Beijing, he met Alen at a famous restaurant.

"Where the hell have you been, Zhan?" Alen said after giving the order to the waiter. "You haven't called for over a week. There's no one at your ex-husband's house."

"I'm here now, that's all that matters, isn't it?" Zhan smiled sweetly.

Alen grabbed his hand. "I read in the papers that the socialite matriarch Wang Lujin has died. Is that why you two disappeared for a week?"

Zhan nodded. "I had a talked with Yibo, Alen, and he will discuss with his lawyers to arrange our annulment." Alen smiled happily. Zhan continued. "But I don't think I will be entitled to an alimony."

"What do you mean?" Alen brow furrowed and his smile disappeared. "As his legal husband you have the right to have that and—"

"I forgot to tell you that we had a prenuptial agreement and I have no right to the money of the Wangs, unless Yibo willingly give a corresponding amount for me." Alen could not speak for a few moments. The deep regret was evident on his face. Lean back in the chair. "Damn the man!" He was about to continue when the waiter appeared and brought down their food.

"We both love each other, Alen. That's what matters, right?" Zhan said solemnly when the waiter left. "Perhaps when we are married, I'll give up my job as a horse breaker and I'll move into your apartment..."

"My apartment is small, honey," Alen said quickly and accompanied it with a smile. "In fact, I thought about selling it. Maybe we can buy a bigger one when we get married."

Zhan smiled. "It's up to you. I leave everything to you when it comes to finances. Anyway, it's written in Daddy's will that as soon as I get married, I shouldn't stay at the ranch," Zhan lied.

Alen's eyebrows came together again. "What do you mean?"

"Daddy's lawyer will take over and the two caretakers will be there to take care of Lulu. I'll just visit her from time to time."

"But what about the ranch? Who will oversee it?" Alen rose from the chair.

"It's up to the lawyer, Alen. I don't own the ranch. My father willed it to my younger sister," and if it wasn't for the anger hidden in his chest, Zhan would have laughed aloud at Alen's expression when he heard what Zhan was said.

A few moments passed before Alen speaks again, he reached for the glass of water and drank.

Then Alen grabbed his hands again and brought it to his mouth. "Poor darling," Alen said with a smile. "I'll take care of you, Zhan. And since your problem with the Wang's is almost over, you're going home to my apartment now, honey." although smiling, Zhan could hear the emphasis in what Alen said. Alen looked at the maitre d' and asked for the bill even though the food was barely touched. "Let's get out of here, honey."

"N-no, Alen. Wang Quiren expects me to go home to the mansion today."

"Forget your father-in-law, Zhan." the determination to take Zhan with him was on his face. "Finish your meal and we'll talk at my house."

"Oh, I don't think so, Mr. Fang." Quiren from behind to the man's surprise.

"Who are you?" Alen said almost sarcastically.

"Meet my father-in-law, Alen, Wang Quiren."

Alen's eyes widened and angrily faced Zhan. "You've been with him since earlier?"

"Xiao Zhan is married to my son, Mr. Fang," Quiren answered in an amused tone. "Neither me and my son will allow you to take Zhan anywhere. The reporters will have a party as soon as you leave this hotel with just the two of you."

Zhan could clearly see Alen reddening with anger. Zhan knew that even if he had failed in what was expected of him, Alen still wanted Zhan to pass through his hand. Zhan smiled bitterly. Damn man! "Goodbye, Mr. Fang," said Quiren. Alen almost jerked to his feet and stared at Zhan for a moment before walking away. Quiren look at his son-in-law and put his arm around Zhan shoulder.

"Are you alright?" He asked Zhan.

"I was a fool," Zhan sobbed.

"Sshh... we're all fooled, Zhan. In different ways. Now, get hold of yourself and let's go dancing."

Zhan forced a smile through misty eyes.