Chapter Twelve 🌹

Wedding day. The officiant was already inside the big library, as were Fengmian and Zhan. Shan was wearing a simple pair of white shirt and jeans.

"There will be no visitors, Daddy," he reasoned with his father. "Yibo hates me... hates this wedding and I don't want to marry him. This outfit is just right."

"You are behaving ridiculously, Xiao Zhan," Fengmian continued in an angry tone. "Change those jeans right now!"

Eyes narrowing, he turned to his father. "I have nothing but jeans and t-shirts, Daddy!"

Xiao Fengmian's face suddenly softened, looked away from Zhan and turned to leave the room.

"Daddy..." Zhan called gently. Fengmian turned, and Zhan swore he saw a mist in his father's eyes that he wanted to cry. "You are so handsome in that Suit. I have never seen you wear that before..."

Fengmian cleared his throat. "It's old...," he smiled and brokenly said: "As old as you, nineteen years old. I... I wore this one my wedding with your mother..."

In two steps Zhan was in his father's arms and sobbing. "Hush... you will wet my... my..." Fengmian couldn't finish what he was saying and hugged his son tightly. "I'm sorry, Zhan, I'm sorry. I know I've been a lousy father to you..."

"I love you, Daddy, and I missed Mommy, too..." Zhan said.

"I hope I can change what happened, Zhan," Fengmian continued in a broken voice and gently ran his finger over Zhan's nose. "I don't know how you can cope with Wang Yibo... you're young, naive and innocent. But--"

Zhan broke away from his father and smiled through tears and wiped his tears with his palm. "I don't want our ranch to be foreclosed either. Now, let's get started, Mr. Xiao. We don't want them to keep on waiting, do we?" As usual he was able to ease the situation. At the last moment he saw the real Xiao Fengmian who for many years had eaten his heart with a lot of bitterness and resentment. Add more to the loss of his wife.

Zhan knew that something changes in their relationship from that moment on. And that was enough to give him enough strength to face Wang Yibo and the consequences of his marriage to him.

An old housemaid gave him a pair of white long sleeves and black pants.

His thoughts were awakened when the library door opened. Everyone's attention was focused on Yibo's. Carment gasped in horror when she saw her son wearing only a white t-shirt and jeans.

Yibo glanced at the officiant who gaped at him. "Let's go on with this wedding and get over it as quickly as possible," he ordered in a formal and cold tone.

"Oh, yes," said Zhan who forced a smile to ease the tension. "I can't wait to be Mrs. Wang Xiao Zhan..."

Yibo frowned and look at him. The officiant cleared his throat and after a while it started the rituals. Yibo accidentally looked at the door and saw Haikuan leaning against the closed door. There was no emotion on his brother's face and Yibo wanted to curse in anger. He didn't want his brother's presence.

"Wang Yibo," said the officiant to Yibo. "I repeat, do you take Sean Xiao Zhan to be your lawful wedded husband and--"

"I do," Yibo answered quickly, not letting the officiant finish what he was about to say. Zhan didn't even want to raise his face, but he did. Yibo is looking at him, his eyes full of contempt and hatred.

In minutes, the wedding was over.

"You may kiss now," said the officiant who obviously did not know how to smile.

"Oh, let's dispense the traditions." Yibo waved his hand away."We can do it in private." he added, holding Zhan's arm to his surprise. And before their parents could greet them, he was led out. They stopped in front of Haikuan.

"I didn't invite you here, brother," Yibo said angrily. "And since you're here, make yourself useful and drive us."

Haikuan's eyebrows met. "Where?"

"To our honeymoon, where else?" Yibo let out a mysterious smile that made Zhan nervous.

"Do you have to leave so soon, Yibo, Zhan?" Quiren recovered from the shock and chased after the two in the middle of the living room.

"I've done my duty, Dad." Yibo looked at his father through clenched jaws. "Now, leave us alone," and he continued to pull his husband out even though it was difficult for him because of the crutch. Zhan looked at their parents not knowing what to say.

"Oh, let's leave the children," said Quiren trying to smile and faced the three. "They're married now. Let's toast to that..." he stepped towards the wine decanter.