Chapter Five

~ The Summer birth ~
- Jamal will be doing a home birth at their home in Denver

Jamal Murray- 9 months and 39 weeks pregnant
Denver, Colorado
9:00pm

Jamal was relaxing on the bed watching TV when he gets up from the bed and came back with contractions. He goes to Michael Malone and tells him that he was having bad pains. "Babe, I'm having bad pains," He whimpered. "What? Okay Jamal, just lay in bed. I'll go downstairs to get gloves," He ran downstairs to get the medical gloves, towels, washcloth and the washbasin. Somehow, it would be very challenging for Michael to deliver his partner's baby. "Hang tight my love, someone's going to come over and help you with our baby," Michael said trying to ease Jamal's fears. Not only that, they waited for someone to come over. "Why don't you take off your nightgown honey love?" Michael removes Jamal's nightgown. Somehow, Jamal was sobbing in tears. "Don't worry honey love, I'm here. We're going to bring this little bundle to the world, okay? I'll be your Doula," He knew Jamal had no one else to be with when he knew that the baby was coming. "I'm always here my honey love. I'll never leave you. I'm going to make sure that our baby will come out healthy," He lets him know that he loves him and will always be there for him.

Michael Malone: I'll sit behind you, ok honey love?

Michael made sure that Jamal was feeling the comfort that he needs when his contractions continued to worsen and wrapped his arms around his pregnant girlfriend's waist. "Let Michael massage your belly," He massaged Jamal's large bump. "Just keep breathing," He was letting him know that he will always be here and wanted to spend the rest of his life with him.

Michael Malone: No matter what happens Jamal, you will always be my girlfriend. 😘

Next, Sylvia's mother and Roger came to the house to help Jamal with the baby. Jamal told them that he was having contractions. Roger and his grandmother went downstairs to get gloves to prepare for the birth.

"Okay, looks like the baby is coming," Roger said placing his hand on Jamal's knee and spreading his legs wide open. "Are you ready to start?" "Yes dad, I'm ready," He replied. "Alright Jamal! Now start pushing," It started with Jamal screaming as his grandmother and Roger were helping him with the baby. Michael sat behind him pressing his belly to help get the baby to come out along with Roger. "Good boy! Now we need to do this again, okay? Give me a big push," "AAAAAHHHHHHHH! It hurts!" He cried in pain. "You can do this honey love," Michael cheered. "The more you push, the baby will come out faster," He agrees and continues pushing through the pressure. "Michael, count one to ten, so that Jamal doesn't exert himself," "Okay," The forty five year old man answered and counted. "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10! Wonderful! That was a good push! Now we need to do it again," Jamal breathes in and pushes. "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10! Good boy! You're being so brave," Roger praised him along with Sylvia's mother. Michael could see the tears streaming down on Jamal's face. "Honey, I know you're hurting," He talked to his screaming girlfriend. "I know, it's very difficult isn't it?" The baby was still roaming around in Jamal's belly. He made little to no progress. "Push! Push! Push!" Sylvia's mother instructed. For most parts, Jamal's grandmother who was from Syria was communicating him in Arabic. "yadfaei! yadfaei! yadfaei!" Roger and Michael heard Sylvia's mom encouraging Jamal to push in her Arabic language. "aidfae bi'aqsaa ma tastatieu! 'urid mink 'an tafeal li maerufan wadafeatan kabiratan li jamal! (Push as hard as you can! I need you to do me a favor and big push for me Jamal!) Jamal tucked his chin to his chest, using his abdominal muscles just to push the baby out by holding both of his legs up. {Ok in case you're wondering what Jamal was wearing during the birth, he's pushing without his nightgown in which his baby bump, collarbone, arms and other parts of his body will be shown during birth, so this is going to sound odd, if you don't want to read it, feel free to skip the part} However, Roger had to keep pressing Jamal's baby bump while continuing to push since he was unaware that the baby is going to be eight pounds heavier at birth. "I can't, I can't," He panted between breaths. "Yes you can do it love, just push!" "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10! Wonderful! You got this!" He praised him. Michael joins in and encourages Jamal. "One, two, three. Push baby!" He tells him. "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10! Good boy you're doing amazing," His grandmother smiled.