Chapter 9

"Come on Jake, it's Christmas morning!" I whispered in Jake's ear as he turned over and mumbled "Five more minutes…." "Not this time!  Happy Christmas babe" I said as I gave his cheek a peck.  I grabbed my heavy wool jumper as I went to the living room, where a tree was standing with the gifts waiting to be unwrapped.  

It was already ten in the morning.  Come on Jake I thought, and as if I told him myself, he came and wrapped his arms around me.  I giggled as he twirled me around.  "Ready to open our gifts like we used to?" he said cheekily.  "Of course!  Let's get started!" I said as I slid across the wood floor in my fuzzy striped socks.  

My aunt had given me a new pair of shoes, converse in a bright red with gold laces.  Gryfindor, I thought as I looked to the closet where our house scarves sat unwanted.  We would have worn them at least ten times by now if we were still at Hogwarts.  What was going on there anyway?  Anything at this point.  But I would have played Quidditch, being a chaser.  I sighed.  I wish I could get on that broom again.  

Jake's family had gotten me an album, meant for photos.  I had a couple in a shoe box in the closet, that had been waiting to be put somewhere.  Looks like I could get started today, I thought as I gently put the album down and looked at the present Jake had for me.  I was about to open it but he stopped me.  

"Save that one for the very last." he said "Why? Is it the best?" I asked cheekily.  He started opening the presents given to him, including a jumper, socks and a frame for a picture.  I thought of Draco.  What would he be doing?  I remembered the gold picture frame he gave me last year for a present.

I also thought of the picture we took with of us.  The one just before we left on that train to come home from Hogwarts.  The last time I would see that castle.  It haunted me.  What was going on inside those walls now?  Anything at this point.  

I then opened Jake's present.  I gasped.  It was a small velvety box, the same which held the locket.  What would he give me though?  I opened it and I choked out another gasp.  I lifted it up to reveal a charm bracelet, with a heart, a smiley face, a peace sign, and most of all, an infinity sign.  I felt the tears coming down my face.  Did he really want to give me this?  Jake came over and gave my hand a squeeze.  

"Do you like it?" he asked.  "I LOVE IT!" I squealed as I kissed him.  He then smiled as he pulled back and said, "There's actually something else…." "What is it this time?" I asked, but Jake just tapped the side of his nose.  Looks like he wasn't going to tell.  But he grabbed a box.  It looked like it came from the bakery around the corner.  I couldn't go by that place without my mouth watering.  

I could smell the same old bakery smell.  I opened the box to reveal a single cupcake, but it wasn't ordinary.  It was a vanilla cupcake with swirled blue, and teal icing.  It was coated with sprinkles as well and I couldn't help but laugh.  He knew too well.  

But on top of the cupcake, was something amazing.  A ring.  It was silver and had two hearts forming the infinity sign.  Was this happening?!  Already!?  Did he really want to……no he couldn't….well maybe he could…….but still.  I felt like this was a dream.  I needed to shake my hand to put myself into reality.  

Jake grabbed the ring and held it in front of me.  He then started.  "Lizzy….you are by far….the best girl I could EVER meet on this planet.  It's like your the puzzle piece that I just couldn't find.  So this is a promise ring….to promise you that I will stay with you no matter what……even if it means dying for you.  I will do anything." Was he really promising all of that?  Wait who was I kidding of course!  A promise ring was amazing.  He put it on my finger as I gave him a kiss.  He was promising me that he wouldn't leave me.  He was promising that he would love me.  He was promising everything.